Asked on Oct 10, 2017

How do you remove the "alan wrench" screws on faucets...see details

Laura PettitKattywhampusLOLG.s29034967


My delta faucets have been stripped and I can't remove the screw to fix the dripping faucets. I don't want to ruin the faucets but can replace the screws. My first question: (1) How do you remove a screw that an alan wrench won't fix? the epoxy solutions on YouTube seem sketchy. (2) Once removed, is there a place to purchase replacement screws. In dire need here. I have a third faucet and I don't even want to start until I know safeguards. Never had this happen in my older house previous to this one.

6 answers
  • Roxaneg
    on Oct 10, 2017

    Check the local hardware store for replacement parts.

    To remove the screw: you can use a rubber band between the bolt and the Allen wrench and see if that works. If not, then try a paste of Ajax or Comet Cleanser between the head of the screw and the hex key.
  • Karen
    on Oct 10, 2017

    Try contacting Delta. They are very good about replacing parts.
  • Nononsencedawn
    on Oct 10, 2017

    A small screwdriver with the "star"-shaped end worked for me. Sorry I don't know the technical name, but not Phillips.
  • G.s29034967
    on Oct 10, 2017

    Delta is guaranteed for life, contact them for a replaced unit. Had to get a plummer to replace the new unit. You-tube made it seem dualbe, but it wasn't that simple!
  • KattywhampusLOL
    on Oct 10, 2017

    Hello Summer, Your best bet, I believe, is to contact the company and get their professional advice about what to do. They should know their own faucets better than we "laymen" do ;)
    Good Luck and thanks for asking HOMETALK how to remove a stripped screww that an allen wrench won't fix, AND where to purchase a replacement screw. :)
  • Laura Pettit
    on Oct 10, 2017

    There's a stripped screw remover you can buy at just about anywhere they sell tools. Amazon and eBay sell them too
Your comment...