Popcorn ceiling removal: entire ceiling was painted, then coated.

Sjt29229935KimJanet Pizaro

I want these ugly ceilings to be transformed 😂

• Kim

Removing Popcorn ceilings

First make sure it is not asbestos! It's a simple Mail in test. I know that Home Depot carries them, I assume other places do as well.
    Once you determine that it is asbestos free, empty out your room. Cover all that can't be removed and your floors with plastic. This is gonna get messy! Cover door openings with overlapping sheets of plastic that you can use like a door.
    Spray your ceiling really well with water. A new pump bug/yard sprayer works great for this. Do not used a used one! Let water soak in and scrape down. Putty knives work great. If you have a floor scraper and a steady light hand, that works really well!
    When all scraped, use plastic to wrap up debris and haul out.
    **KEEP TEST RECORDS ON FILE!!!
    Disposing of asbestos into the trash is subject to fines and imprisonment.

Hope that helps
    : )
  • Sjt29229935

You said your ceiling had been painted and coated. If that is the case, the soaking method probably won't work. We ran into the same issue with our ceilings. Over the years, people have repainted them and that seals the original popcorn making it strongly adhere in some areas while releasing in others. It is a PAIN!!! You literally have to scrape and sand and repair and say bad words. I strongly suggest you call it the pros to tackle them. It may cost a little more, but well worth your sanity. Ours were done in the early 70's. At that time, they hung the drywall differently too and there were waves in the ceiling that needed remudding to straighten before repainting, They were an easy answer back in the day, but a nightmare to change, especially if painted/sealed. Good luck!!