Asked on Oct 10, 2017

How do you flatten out warped wood due to sitting water?

BarbJewellmartinJay Paden


We have a dinner table that had a cup leak water onto the surface, and in the morning there was a "bubble" of warped wood. How do I flatten out the wood without creating more of a mess around the already warped area?

3 answers
  • Jay Paden
    on Oct 10, 2017

    Is it a veneer that's bubbled or solid wood ............. for veneer put a hand towel, one layer, put a "warm" iron for a few hours check you progress from time to time when you get the bubble out turn the iron off and leave just the cold iron on it 24 hrs. Solid wood just has to dry longer and may need sanding and refinishing
  • Jewellmartin
    on Oct 10, 2017

    Nothing to add to @JayPaden's response except be patient, trust the process and best wishes 😇💞
  • Barb
    on Oct 10, 2017

    Jay's plan is exactly what I would do, but here is another idea if it's a larger than you think...
    Repair Bubbled (Blistered) Veneer
    1. Place a damp cloth over the bubble, cut a slit in the bubble to release trapped air. | Source.
    2. Squeeze white (wood) glue into the slit and press veneer back into place. | Source.
    Place a weighted object on the repaired area for about 8 hours to assure that the glue sets properly.
Your comment...