Painted Upholstered Sofa

I painted my upholstered sofa! I had originally intended to reupholster my sofa. But when I realized that this sofa wasn't exactly what I wanted long term for my living room (and I don't yet have the money to replace it with a new sofa), I decided to take a much easier and MUCH cheaper route and paint it.
It took me two days, and cost just over $60. The painted sofa feels very much like thick outdoor canvas or duck cloth. Although it's no longer soft like upholstery fabric, It's not uncomfortable to sit on. And because I used lots of fabric medium added to the paint, it won't crack or peel. It's a great solution for an ugly sofa that you're not quite ready to replace.
Sofa painted with latex paint with fabric medium added.
The sofa in its original fabric. I purchased it from a consignment store for $100 several months ago when I needed a sofa in a hurry for our new house. The busy floral clashed badly with my living room.
The sofa after the first coat of paint. It was a big mess, but I didn't panic. Having done my research, I knew what to expect. It took a total of four coats of paint.

Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Everything Red For Canada Day
Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating

• Liz

I think this would be a GREAT idea for my two canvas chairs on my deck. Of course sun and rain have severely faded the pattern. They are technically indoor accent chairs. I found them very cheap so they are on the patio. Do you think this process will stand up to the weather? We rarely use them SO weather would be more detrimental than excessive use. Thanks for the great idea!!! -Liz in North Dakota

• Melisa

I painted a garage sale couch 4 years ago and it still sitting on my covered porch and we use it every season.

• Scout

How durable is painting a sofa?

• Teresa Renee Daniells

how can I paint a chair & it end up soft enough to go in a baby's room? I need ideas & help asap as my new granddaughter will be her in less than 2 months & I don't have much money as I am on disability

• Emma Veasley

This looks great. I have an ugly green oversized sofa and chair that I would love to paint in a lighter color. Can you get me started in right direction please?