IKEA HACK - STOOL TO SIDE TABLE

$30
1 Day

I've started decorating my bedroom - but like a lot of European homes, space was an issue. I really wanted some bedside tables (you know, for all the useless junk we liked to store within arms reach of our bed), but I knew I needed to keep it small and compact .

The IKEA STOOl seemed like the perfect starting point for the industrial side table I had always wanted, and at a whopping £3, I was saving quite a few pennies

What’s the deal with all the IKEA hacks, you ask? God, I wish I knew.. I don’t even realise I’m doing it anymore.
-Hard wood timber W 8.9cm L 240cm T 3.8cm (2′ x 4′)
-Ikea stool
MDF wood.
Spray paint
Primer
Spray on varnish (poly)
MDF wood (of at least 1cm thickness)
Gorilla glue (or DAP glue)

TOOLS NEEDED:
A POWER ROUTER
Jigsaw –

HOW TO:

I painted the stool yellow with the spray paint
Making the wooden top was slightly more complicated because I really wanted a chunky slatted top similar to the design I had created for my rustic BENCH a few years ago. To do this:

With a jigsaw, I sawed the wood into 5 lengths and then glued together.

. Next, using the top of the IKEA stool as an outline, draw a circle with a pencil. Then you need to cut out that circle.  The drawing part was a piece of cake, the cutting, on the other hand, was a nightmare!
2. . Next, using the top of the IKEA stool as an outline, draw a circle with a pencil. Then you need to cut out that circle.   We initially attempted this with a jigsaw but it was a HUGE FAIL! You can find out why and see some shocking pictures at link below
3. Our next step was using a power router which worked perfectly!

All that was left to do was sand and stain and voila!

What do you think?
You can see more pictures of my bedroom by heading to the link below!

• Stool
  • Wood

Medina at Grillo Designs

• Malhotte

Neat idea, but is there a step missing? The seat of the stool is convex originally, and doesn't seem to have anything like the yellow band edge in the final result. Wouldn't there have been a gap between the wood top and stool edge?
    • LaNell

I agree with Malhotte and Dreschel99. I don't have time to mess with going elsewhere.
  • Melissa V

Also, I don’t see a step for attaching the wood to the stool. Is it just sitting on there?
  • Mary

I see that you used 2 x 4's for this project. Wouldn't it have been much lighter in weight and easier to cut with the jigsaw if you had used 1 x 4's? Your table looks great, but my back problems wouldn't want to try to lift it LOL

• Ran22549902

Hello...
    Great idea! The wood top really adds another texture to your table.
    I like that you made it thick. More substantial. Great job coordinating the color pallet. Love the mixed patterns in the bed linens. Very sharp! Thanks for sharing your artistic abilities. Randy
  • Sus4656556

I'd like to make the table top diameter a couple inches wider, then rout-out the seat diameter/depth to "cap" the tabletop to the stool. That would hide the plastic.

I've also used a nice ceramic plant saucer for the top of one of these stools, which serves to keep tabletop items from rolling off.