Philbeck Martha
Philbeck Martha
  • Indianapolis, IN

We had a fungus in the tomatoes plants for the last couple of years

NanceyKimAmanda
+2

we have had a fungus in the tomatoes plants for the last couple of years. this year we did not get as many tomatoes and some of them had hard white spots under the skin. what can we do to prevent this. we have moved them to a different part of the ground.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Are you planting in the ground or in containers? How far apart are you placing the plants? Are you pruning the tomato plants ( ie: "suckering")?
  • Amanda

Hi Martha. I would remove all debris from the garden and put black fabric or plastic down over the garden. This helps kill any bacteria in the soil. I would wipe your tomato cages down with bleach water, and rinse. In spring I add compost, peat moss, and sometimes sand too. The peat moss and sand make the dirt less compressed and add better drainage. When you plant your tomatoes add tomato tone fertilizer or some type with calcium. Sometimes the soil lacks it and it helps the plants not get diseased. You can also purchase a soil testing kit to see what it is lacking. I wish you luck.
  • Kim

Call your Agricultural Extension Office. They understand the problems with tomatoes in your area and can give the best advice to prevent it in the future.
    😊

• Nancey

Use a COPPER Fungicide spray on the leaves and stems and you will only have to do it once in the beginning of the season and again in the middle. Be sure and spray all around so you get the leaves top and bottom. Then again when you have an abundance of new growth.