What is the best way to store red delicious apples?

EmilyDesertRoseDiana
+4

• Rose Broadway

My parents always went to the apple orchard and picked a bushel of apples in the Fall, then we wrapped each one in newspaper and laid them out in our unheated basement. They lasted all winter.
  • I only buy a weeks worth at a time and place in refrigerator as it is still 80 + here. December through March, I can store in the garage as it is cool enough in there.

Here are a couple links.

• Robyn Garner

Store in a cool, dry place such as the basement in a bag or container such as a bushel basket. Make sure you have good air circulation and check them regularly. "One bad apple ruins the entire collection" lol
  • Diana

We have a farm:The best tips we can verify that work-because we follow / do it ourselves is on: www.best-easy-apple-recipes.com/storing-apples.html
  • DesertRose

My grandparents used to store their apples and carrots all winter in dry sand in their dark, dry basement. We ate them off and on until summer when the raspberries ripened
  • Emily

I have a number of those big wash bowls from the days when people "washed up" in their bedrooms. These are wide and shallow. I just put apples in there till we eat or bake a pie.