Kk
Kk
  • Willmar, MN

How do I stop a wood chair from squeaking?

FlorentRenee VlnaMona Lawver
+18

I got this great chair for 99 cents and I want to refinish and recover it but it's pretty squeaky when you are sitting in it. How do I get rid of the squeaking?
  • Karen Krysowaty

Check all the joints and make sure they are secure. Reglue if necessary and make then have less movement
    • Kk

What's the best way to reglue when the chair is assembled?
  • Karen Krysowaty

Use wood glue, and it is best to put the glue in the hole and then use a paint brush to coat the inside, then join the parts and use a vice or a strap to hold til dry. Clean off any glue that spreads out of the holes just to keep is clean. Good luck and enjoy
  • Carol Cole

ALSO SECURE WITH A SCREW OR NAILES
  • Renee Vlna

Baby powder
  • Barbara Fink OBrien

The wood glue is the best solution...over time the joints have become loose..you will need to fill the void with glue

• Christierei

I like that chair! You are gonna have some fun. I agree with the others. Put the chair upside down and look at how the legs are attached to the base of the chair. Sometimes chairs will have screws that you can retighten. Post a picture of the bottom of the chair, if you want.
  • Lynn sheedy

Tighten the screws
  • Renee Vlna

I'm sorry. It posted to wrong question.
  • Barb

What a right find and a steal of a price! Start by picking fabric and a 1/2 yard will be enough. Unscrew the seat under neath and and take off old fabric, if the cushion is good you can go right over it or purchase a new foam seat or batting will do and start stapling away and when you place the seat back be sure the tighten the screws snug this will stop the squeaking. I just my dinning chairs and a matching fabric bench that’s in one of my projects.
  • For28365624

I'm thinking determine which joint(s) are squeaking. Then, separate as many parts as necessary so you can also disassemble the squeaking joint(s). Then you'll be able to reglue the offending joint(s).

But, since I never did it before, I don't know how to separate the joints that are tightly glued. Maybe assume all the glue is old, and use a soft rubber mallet.
    • Darcy Kul

Hmmmm, I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" state of mind. I wouldn't suggest cracking open ALL the seams just to add new glue. I'd just check that all the screws are in tightly (as they can loosen up over the years) and definitely, wood glue and then clamp tightly.
  • Kk

i should have added that the chair is quite sturdy but I will recheck the screws first. Then I'm diving in with wood glue, brush and clamps. Thanks everyone!
  • Susan Whalen

Hardware stores sell a product that swells the joints and works like glue to make the chair stronger.
  • Sandy

Great find! I had bought some glue in the past for a chair I had and it worked. It as made specifically to tighten
  • Sandy

Great find! I had bought some glue in the past for a chair I had and it worked. It as made specifically to tighten the joints and it stopped some of the squeaking. I'm sorry but I dont remember what it is called. Just go to your local hardware store (not big box) and they should be able to help you
  • Mona Lawver

baby powder
  • Renee Vlna

If you squeeze baby powder in by the joints the rubbing noise should be minimal. It also works on floors.
  • Florent

The best is to unmount the chair completly, then clean all the ancient old glue residue with proper tools, with crew clamps or tension strap until glue is dried.