June Croft
June Croft
  • Rockledge, FL

How to cover chipped 1956 kitchen countertop

June CroftFlipturnKaren Krysowaty
+1

This is my rental home, love it! But original countertop still here. Can't tear out old trim...any suggestions are so welcome!

• Karen Krysowaty

Since it is a rental it can't be a permanent fix so how about trying contact paper in a pattern that won't show the chips?
  • June Croft

I guess I should go duh...but great idea! Thank you!!
  • Flipturn

Contact paper on a kitchen countertop will not stand up to even normal use. The edges of the pieces will catch, curl up, rip, and not stick. Bits of food will get under the edges of the pieces, causing fast buildup of bacteria that will be next to impossible to clean properly.

Have to approached the landlord to request if the countertop could be replaced with inexpensive new clean laminate? Not only will it be easier to maintain, but the present chips are also probably inviting moisture to get inside and permeate the backing.
  • June Croft

Good points... I'm kind of a nut about bacteria. Ok laminate it is..no matter who pays. Thanks folks!