SK on Elderberry
SK on Elderberry
  • Bonners Ferry, ID

Dad's Boots

My father was a pioneer in the newly opened agricultural area known a the Washington Columbia Basin project. in 1956. My earliest memories were of sagebrush and very few neighbors. He was, and still is my hero. He could do anything. Green things just grew from his call. He built and and created farm machinery our entire farm life. His joining the United States Army as a Machinist Mate taught him the needed knowledge that anything was possible.His most remarkable attitude was that we could "Do anything" when we put our mind to it. He taught me that an unfailing spirit of creation was one of God's greatest gifts. I grew to understand I could create at will if I had the will. So I do. Nothing is too difficult or impossible in his eyes.
At his funeral at age 93 It was imperative for me to honor this great man with his most humble of possessions. His work boots. His shovel, which he did calculations on the wood handle. Money was not his goal. Being a good, honest man and making the land bloom. Wheat, roses were his love. His work boots saw it all and they are a true treasure to me.
Thank you for letting my soft heart share this little bit of history.
With a green thumb Dad's roses were true prize winners. These flowers were my tribute to very missed father. I used floral foam covered with aluminum foil because I didn't' want to ruin  the last,  only pair of ud boot in existence.
With a green thumb Dad's roses were true prize winners. These flowers were my tribute to very missed father. I used floral foam covered with aluminum foil because I didn't' want to ruin the last, only pair of ud boot in existence.
United States navy. WWII
United States navy. WWII
United States navy. WWII. Learned invaluable skills,
My father, My Hero
SK Sartell
My father, My Hero SK Sartell

• Ruth Smith

This is beautiful! My family had a similar arrangement done for my father. The boots contained an arrangement with cotton stalks from his last harvest.

• Cyndi

what a wonderful tribute to your dad... I can't imagine losing my dad, but his vegetable garden holds a similar place as your dads roses...

• SK on Elderberry

@Cyndi It's almost too much to bear. Losing your father. But eventually it is apt to happen. We were so grateful he lasted into his mid-nineties and was a Man among men. My tribute to him will last until I meet him again. I am sixty two and still think of him as my mentor. I want to be this to my kids. All we have is examples. What they were and what we are and whom our kids will be. I'm glad you had a remarkable father too. It touches my heart and I still miss him terribly. Thanks Cyndi