Does anyone know an easy way to remove paint from a tin ceiling?

Maggie_May_513Castrang17Joseph Glackin
+3

My ceiling has many layers of paint and it's peeling all over.Add some details for your fellow Hometalkers! (Optional)

• Roxaneg

There are sealers that can be painted on, but you might have too much build-up of paint to make that work for any time. It would probably just look messy.

The "easy" way to remove paint is with chemical strippers. For a tin ceiling, it's about your only option.

If this is an older ceiling, then I would definitely have it tested for lead before knocking off or pulling away the paint. The it's stripper time: lots of drop cloths, lots of stripper and lots of work.
  • Linda Sikut

Here's an article with all of the steps for painting but Step #3 - using paste paint remover is what you want. I looked up paste paint remover too because I've never heard of it. It's the second link.

Good luck
  • Sharon

You would have to use a stripper, and probably a brush.
  • Joseph Glackin

Lead based paint is almost a given. Stripper or a pressure washer might do. If you get lucky and can remove the pieces, try boiling them. Lots of ventilation, an masks, for sure.
  • Castrang17

A tin ceiling, what a treasure! Yes, strip and remove the paint carefully. Check will a paint professional, as to the tin ceiling, a coating (after stripping) can be applied to seal it and preserve it.
  • Maggie_May_513

Thank you everyone for your help...At this time stripping would be too much work.. I called a professional stripper and he wanted $4800. to strip 3 rooms..2 of which are small.. I have a small bedroom, a bathroom and the dining room... So I guess I will live with it for awhile... Thanks again and God Bless