Pat
Pat
  • Jacksonville, FL

What can I plant or put on drain field?

Dl.5660408Janet PizaroAmanda
+4

We have a hugh drain field in our back yard and it is quite an eyesore that one sees from the back deck.
Ideas on what to plant or put on drain field? I tried sunflowers last year, they just don't last very long. THANKS!
q what can i plant or put on drain field
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown

Why don't you try naturalizing bulbs and wildflowers? Bulbs for spring and wildflowers for summer/fall....it should come out looking like a field.
  • Amanda

Hi Pat. Ornamental grasses would work well. They have a shallow root system that will soak up a lot of water. You can also plant some perennials like daisies, coneflowers, and day lilies. You just want to stick to a shallow root plant. Good Luck!
    • Pat

I hadn't thought about ornamental grasses... Great idea! I saw some pink pampus grass that might work. THANKS!
  • Dl.5660408

My daughter put down water permeable landscaping fabric and planted iris and different heights of ornamental grass, like stipa, 'hamlin', blue oats and mondo grass. She used pea gravel as a mulch and a single layer of bricks around it, making sort of an oasis. Mulch would also work. Everything definitely has to be shallow rooted. Pampas grass can be very invasive and undesirable in some locations so you might want to check it out, plus the edges of leaves are very sharp and can cut you when you cut it back!