Drop Cloth Wreath

$15

I recently painted the interior of my front door black (the exterior was always black) as part of a foyer update we are undertaking. You can read more about that here. I wanted a wreath for the door that wasn't season-specific. The walls of my foyer are a sage-y green with off-white trim and I have a black console table and just introduced the black door, so I wanted something neutral. I had been seeing these beautiful cream wreaths on the internet and was shocked to see they were made from simple drop cloth!
Here's the door that I wanted the wreath for.
The first thing I did was order some drop cloth fabric and a 18" wire wreath form. All of the materials you need for the project are: drop cloth, 18" wire wreath form, scissors and a ruler. That's it! I couldn't find any details on how much material I would need for an 18" wire frame so I went ahead and purchased a 4' x 12' canvas drop cloth. This provided more than enough (I did have some strips left over, but not too many) to create a full wreath.
First, I laid out the fabric and cut the canvas drop cloth into strips. I found varying dimensions cited online depending on who was making the wreath, but I went with 1″ strips that were 9″ long.
Don’t worry about cutting each strip perfectly, the wreath is meant to be a bit rustic. I eyeballed the inch width when cutting the fabric into long strips,but did use a ruler to measure out the length.
Then I simply started tying the strips onto the frame. I started on the inside ring of the wreath, tied them all around and then moved on to the next outermost ring and repeated for all four rings. You can tie on as few or as many as you can fit in each section of the wreath. I chose to tie on as many as I could comfortably tie in each section because I wanted a really full looking wreath. Tying the strips on is a great activity to do in front of the TV. Know that the drop cloth fabric does fray and you will get strings all over whatever chair or couch you are sitting on - but nothing that a vacuum can't handle afterwards .
Here is a close up of the finished wreath on my newly painted door. I love the contrast of the light wreath on the black door, don't you? To hang it I used a command hook and used a pipe cleaner around one of the wire rings to create a hanger.
Here's a shot of the full door. Let me know what you think!

• Drop Cloth  (Amazon)
  • 18" Wire Wreath Form  (Amazon)
  • Scissors

Kristen Koehler

• Gail

it looks great. You say 9" strips. that seems long based on how small the knotted ties look. Just double checking???
    • Kristen Koehler

Yes, they were nine inches :) I was thinking the same thing when researching how to make one. Others have cited between 6" and 12", but the pictures I liked online all said 9" so that is what I did.

Also the strips are tied in a double knot - so you need enough material to do that : ) Hope this helps!
  • Gilmer Gal

Did you glue the knots to keep from coming unravelled? Also, was it a single knot or did you double knot? I'm dying to make one of these! Think I'll put some burlap nestled in!! Thanks
    • Kristen Koehler

I did not glue the knots just tied them in a double knot. Love the idea to add more texture with some burlap - be sure to post!
  • Darrel Rose

Did you use drop cloth on the rear of the wreath form as well as I would be worried that this could scratch the paint on the door
    • Kristen Koehler

Thank you for the answers ladies! The material does tie around the wire frame entirely and cover it.

• Easy does it

Easy Does It

I love that it is so easy. I saw one similar to this with old jeans. I will make one with jeans and drop cloth. Thanks for the idea.

• Dpbeee2

Beautiful results! That looks great plain and, I could see adding some (removable) season specific ornamentation too. This is a project I will try. Thank you.