Lex
Lex
  • Vincennes, IN

Residue on the lid of a Vintage Lane Cedar Chest

DebbieVicky HattonToni Hembree
+11

The cedar chest was in my parent's Closet for probably 30+ years. All kinds of things were stacked on the lid. When I finally drug it out, I found a sticky residue on a portion of the lid . In addition there is fabric or cardboard stuck in the gunk in several places. I have tried oil soap, gentle sanding but not much progress. Is sanding, refinishing my only hope? I hate doing that because it may be difficult to find the right shade. An suggestions very much appreciated.
Thanks, Lex
q residue on the lid of a vintage lane cedar chest
As you can see, there is something stuck in the residue
There is only this section that is a mess. The other half of the lid is fine
It appears that whatever was spilled - I think it may have been an old breath freshing product called BINANCA that my father used - it appears to have already eaten through the finish.
  • Lex

Thank for the reply. I figured this was what needed to be done, but hoped there was a magical, easy way out. However I do appreciate your reply!
  • Michel

try rubbing with something oily. I would suggest peanut butter, lemon, orange or olive oil first.
  • Tur23552964

I would try WD40,It works on all kinds of soft & hard glues,also You could go to their web site and ask them.hope this helps
  • Bob Samsel

Try mineral spirits
  • Jjf9789637

Have you tried GOO GONE? It removes a lot of sticky gunk stuff like this. I would try it before the whole refinishing thig!!!
  • 2dogal

I'd also try goo gone, although the finish looks damaged. You may have to refinish the whole top or as an alternative, cover a piece of foam and fasten that to the top for a cushion.
  • Gl521444064

Amish Wood Milk
  • Kat29051564

I have a 1950s Ethan Allen sideboard that needed some help and used coconut oil. Put the coconut nut oil on a little thick and let set for a bit. Should come right off but if not, apply another coat and let set. After you get the guck off, you can oil the whole check with coconut oil. It is a clean oil and doesn't leave a residue.
  • Lex

I will try that. Thank You!
  • Toni Hembree

If you haven't have any of the above work, try Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil. It's amazing how much it can clean - I've taken tar off a car, for example. It is also very gentle. Good luck!

• Vicky Hatton

Goof Off is another alternative to Goo Gone.

• Debbie

try a magic erasers and very soapy water I took another cars paint of my car without damaging it. As this is would you would need to let dry after and then oil as suggested. You can by special oil for cedar.