Painting an old china cabinet to a blueish color. Any suggestions?

SharonRenate.grenier1Mswrkmn
+7

I'm purchasing a beautiful french provincial China cabinet and would love to paint it a nice blueish gray color. I'm torn on the right pop of color that will compliment the formal dining room space. I'm going for a nice fresh farmhouse look. Any suggestions on the right shade of blueish / blueish gray color for that nice pop of color? thank you in advance.
q painting an old china cabinet to a blueish color any suggestions
Formal dining room
French provincial china cabinet that will be painted a blueish gray color
Closer view
Thinking about using Normandy Benjamin Moore exterior and an off white / cream interior. Thoughts?
Inspiration
Similar color palette
Or should the china cabinet be painted a darker blue color? Thoughts? Too dark?
formal dining room
  • Dl.5660408

That's a beautiful blue color you've chosen. It would give it a pretty French Country look
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead

pkease check out "Unicorn Spit"
  • Ed Cannon

Lightly sand and clean with TSP mixed with water to remove anything that will not let the final coat stick. Now you need to choose what blueish finish please you. One is milk paint. Soon after applying this you can wipe some off if you feel it is too blue. There are other choices than some different shades of paint. Go to a paint store and let them show you the many ways to find that one blueish color that spins you hat.
    • Yas30881766

Hi Ed, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Very helpful and will try it out. Thanks!
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead

no. It is a water based gel stain. Serious, check out you tube. It is adictive
  • Mswrkmn

You may want to look into Annie Sloan's chalk paint as well.
  • Renate.grenier1

1st, get some scrap wood with the same wood tone as your furniture. Sand lightly and play......I paint wall murals so I have lots of left over wall paints. If you have white, tint with the bottle craft paint that can be bought at any art supply section - usually costs $1-$2. each color. Buy what you like and remember, a pale sage,cream,etc. would look good. Please use a paste wax over your finished product or the paint will scratch off. Annie Sloan has a good product as have others. The wax comes in different stains so that you get some amazing ends. Remember, prior to tackling your china cabinet, please practice on some smaller piece....
  • Sharon

I would paint it just a wee bit lighter blue,,,,, french blue, and distress it with a bit of dark to make any carving stand out.... in satin finish... https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW9056-french-moire#/9056/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0