How to Install Baseboards

$200
1 Day

I recently learned how to install baseboards in my home as we were preparing to move. It was so much easier than I thought it would be, and I learned a lot in the process! I'm not a pro by any means, but thought I would share the basic process for how to do it yourself - because it's not as difficult as you might think!
The main skill you really need to know to install baseboards is how to use a miter saw. If you aren't familiar with it, I have adirectio The main skill you really need to know to install baseboards is how to use a miter saw. If you aren't familiar with it, I have a full tutorial and video on how to use a miter saw. I promise, it's simple!

You'll need to cut all of the boards for the corners of your room at a 45-degree angle. When you're measuring to cut the board, you'll always want to cut so that the back of the board is the length of your measurement. You will need to flip the direction of your cut for outside vs. inside corners (see my blog post for more details on what this looks like).
This is what the cuts will look like when a corner meets. It might not be perfect (mine usually aren't 100% perfect because I'm still a beginner!) but remember that caulk covers a multitude of sins. You'll use a nail gun to attach the baseboards to the wall. Just work your way around the room, measuring and cutting as you go.
Once you've added the baseboards, you'll probably want to add some sort of trim. The kind I used is called cove molding. You'll install this with the same technique you used to install the baseboards.
Once you've installed the baseboards and trim, simply caulk all of the nail holes and seams, and paint the baseboards. Then, you're done! You can see more details, photos, and tips on my full blog post on how to install baseboards!

• Baseboards
  • Trim
  • Miter saw

Love & Renovations