How can a shower drain pipe be converted to a toilet drain?

Dorothy LawMargie SpenserFlipturn
+4

For handicapped accessibility I need to replace my tub with a walk in shower, move a toilet to where the shower currently is located, and add a stand-alone wheelchair accessible sink in the area where the toilet will be placed.

• Penny Taylor

You want to make sure you change the types of drains. The toilet drain needs to be 4" around and specifically for sewage with a flange for the toilet to connect to.
    What I would do in this case, hire a qualified plumber or handyman. Hope this helps. Also check the codes in your area.
  • Flipturn

Penny has a good point about checking first with a licensed plumber to learn what the building codes are in your area.

Your home owner's insurance policy might not cover you if the modifications to the plumbing are not completed by someone who is qualified.

This is not a simple diy job.
  • Dorothy Law

One is grey water (shower) the other black ( toilet) it's not something that can just be moved across . You will need to get a licensed plumber in as pipe work under the toilet would need to be moved. If you have concrete flooring it will be even harder! Would it be possible to redesign taking the bathroom wall out to the edge of the eaves to allow extra turning space. We did this in our place. Good luck!
    • Mom30511368

Thanks for your reply. I was planning on hiring a plumber, anyway. What is it that needs extra turning space? Please explain. I appreciate your response.
  • Margie Spenser

Perhaps a wheel chair?
  • Margie Spenser

Are you sure you want a walk in shower? If you replaced your tub with a walk-in tub the drain and faucets could remain where they are. And there could be a built in seat and massage jets in the tub, and less chance of falling.
  • Dorothy Law

extra turning space allowing for more room to manouvre wheelchair or such.