Joye R. Foster
Joye R. Foster
  • Hampton, SC

Snakes

Nancy SkaggsBrendaJoye R. Foster
+10

I live in the woods. Our property has snakes. In the past, this has not been any problem because when you live in the woods, you will have all sorts of wildlife. Now I have two , six pound, Yorkshire Terriers. They are small but they are terriers. We are having a problem with snake bites. After several emergency trips to the vet, we are trying to figure out some options. My dogs have been given the rattle snake vaccine, but this only gives them more time.

• I know someone who moved to the desert and enrolled their dogs in rattlesnake classes. Maybe you can look into that?
  • FL
  • Barb

omg I know how you feel my family lives in Arizona and they have this same problem and I asked them what do and I found they same things they use around the yard, and it helped them a lot. Best if luck and be safe
  • DesertRose

If you are allowed fowl, guinea hens will kill snakes. Snakes do not like to crawl where dogs have used the bathroom, so dogs are a good help. Good snakes like bull snakes also kill poisonous ones. Keep the brush and grass cut back away from the house. Do not provide food for snakes like chicken/eggs.
  • Sharon

Maybe build a rattlesnake fence around your house, its 18" high made out of hardware cloth (1/4"metal screen)
  • Cindy

Peacocks kill snakes and they are very beautiful.

You can make a perimeter, like a mote, around the back of your property using lava rocks. Maybe 3 feet wide and a about 5 or 6 inches deep. The snakes won't want to crawl over that stuff, and your dogs won't want to walk on it. Never heard of a rattlesnake fence, but that's a good idea for the front of the lava rocks, towards the house, in case the snakes crawl over the lava rocks.
  • Joye R. Foster

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!
  • Brenda

There's apoduct on the market called "snake away"---I used it around our camp upstate and haven't seen a snake since. It's a granular substance that's kind of tan in color. We bought it in 1/2 gallon containers--I wish I could tell you where we did get it and I can't remeber---but maybe if you google the name you can find it on the web.
  • Nancy Skaggs

Get some geese or ducks. Be sure to have water for them. I prefer geese myself.