Alice
Alice
  • Conway, SC

How can I get rid of the red ants queen ant without harming my grass?

MarshaAnnette White-DantNancy Turner
+3

food grade diatoemeous earth
  • DesertRose

Cornmeal kills ants. They take it back to the queen and she dies too. We tried every kind of poison, bait , everything. Then an old timer told us about cornmeal! It worked! Most mounds needed one application of cornmeal, a few needed a second application (large colony), but then they were gone! We used Jiffy because it is sweet and they jump to get it down in the nest. One box was good for 5 mounds. It is inexpensive, safe for children and pets, and does not harm the environment. If it rains, reapply. We had an acre full of red ant hills! We keep Jiffy in the pantry, especially in spring when new colonies move in. Best part is, it works!
  • Cindy

Hello Alice, You could spray them with equal parts of water and vinegar. OR You could make ant killer solution with one Tablespoon of Borax, one cup sugar and a half cup of water. I found this remedy on line with some research. I hope these ideas help you. Good luck.
  • Nancy Turner

I would go with the cornmeal as it would not be harmful to other living things like pets and local critters.
  • Annette White-Dant

Cinnamon Ants do not like cinnamon.
  • Marsha

Grits! The workers carry them in, break the grit into smaller pieces, they feast, and the grit absorbs all of the ants' bodily fluids. Mummified ants! Do this inside the house , as well! Put them in plastic bottle caps.