I need a new matress (firm) within my buying range with tokens I have

BillRoGail N David Nonamaker
+15

Need a new mattress we can afford

• Nancy Turner

Tokens? There are many mattress stores out there that have all ranges of prices depending on if you want fancy or basic. Look in the phone book or online for mattress stores, Visit a few to get prices for what you want. I have even seen them for sale at consignment stores and Salvation Army.
  • Sharon

Overstocked.com, Costco, Sam's Club, Amazon, I would look for sales especially on Holidays in newspaper
  • S

i wouldn't buy used. See if you have a Habitat for Humanity RESTORE (thrift) in your area. They sell NEW mattress sets, very reasonable.
  • Ellis

Check out all the outlets Sharon mentioned, plus the department stores like Macy's, etc. Watch for advertised sales. And, if it is any in-person place, from the famous mattress companies to department store on a big sale day, haggle. See if you can get free delivery, etc.

I have purchased from Macy's, the sale price was fair.
  • Debbie Vose Boone

We bought a firm commercial mattress at Menards. We bought a king set 10 year un prorated warranty for the set was $800.
  • Say30586643

I don't know if you've ever heard of purchasing a mattress online, but let m tell you we had great luck. We are elderly and have separate bedrooms. My husband has a double bed and we recently purchased a new mattress for $160 . You can purchase any size and they are shipped rolled up in a box! The mattress has coils, but everything is compressed for shipping. You unroll it and it reinflates on its own in just a few hours! My husband wanted a medium firmness and he LOVES it. You can buy any degree of firmness you need and there are several brands. Research these and read the reviews. I'm telling you they are AMAZING! I'll never buy another mattress any other way.
    • Karla Bonilla

I agree! I’ve Purchased two sets on sale wayfare.com - Check the sale section first. Free delivery too. As a single mom the cost and delivery was important...walmart has similar options
  • Betty Zink

J C Penny.com has 65% off now until 10-19 and you also get free shipping and no interest for 18 months if you use your J C Penny card. They have a pretty good selection.

One thing not to do, is to go to a store that has a clearance area to buy a mattress. Sometimes, not always, these mattresses have been used and returned. You don't know where they've been or what's been done on them, or what they have crawling around inside. Always buy new unused.
  • Maureen

I go into the store and ask where do they keep the not so pretty mattresses. I ask about the back room, or their outlet.
  • Ginny

I e-mailed my friends asking where they bought their last mattress, and Macy's came in first place.

I looked up Mattress Firm on line a/c they used to be Mattress Discounters where I purchased my last Queen set a hundred yrs. ago. Well, the reviews were awful including the mention of bedbugs so would stay clear of them.

Macy's has sales on all the holidays so I'm going to keep looking there. Asked my orthopedist about mattresses, and he did not recommend gel because I have had two hip replacements, three back, and one cervical surgery.

Costco also sells mattress and frames separately.
  • Pat Stilwell Price

Will do! thanks
  • Rosemary Kelly

I got a 10" Tempurpedic Clone on Amazon. With free shipping, it was under $300 and it's firm. California King. The last memory foam mattress we had lasted 15 years.
  • Gwen Barham Loftus

I just purchased a Serta pillowtop queen from Big Lots. So far it is great and mattress and box springs ran about $500. I thought about on line but have bad hip and back so wanted to try it out first. They have a 30 day return for full refund so you can't go wrong,
  • Vin22454814

I can recommend Sam's Club for quality mattresses at a fair price. I've bought 2 king mattresses in the last 6 years. It seems like they are Sealy. One was middle quality/price and one was highest quality/price. I sleep on both regularly and am satisfied with the comfort. If you are on a tight budget~~mid range quality is very good.
    The only drawback to buying at Sam's is that you will have to haul it home yourself. This might be a problem if you don't have help and a truck.
    Keep in mind that a mattress is something that you use 8 hours everyday. Buy the best that you can afford. Your sleep depends on it.

• Gail N David Nonamaker

plastic coffee jugs

• Ro

In the meantime - cut a 4' X 8' sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood down to fit between the mattress & box spring. Remember to file down the edges & round the corners. ( I strongly suggest that you cut the width & length down to 8" smaller than your mattress - so you don't smash your fingers when tucking in the sheets! This trick can add YEARS to the life of your existing mattress. ( Works well under chair seat cushions as well ~ ) If you want to be fussy - paint/stain/seal the plywood to minimize splinters.
    My husband found he LOVED how stiff his 'new' mattress became!

• Bill

Another trick to get a little more life out of your mattress is to stuff bed pillows between the mattress and the box springs. I was amazed at how much support it provides until I get around to buying a new mattress. I do have to refluff the pillows every week or two, tho!