Using cardboard box for weed control

KathieBarbara BaldwinBetsy
+4

Will flattened cardboard boxes under fill prevent weeds coming through. I have a huge area to fill in and buying weed fabric gets costly and I don't think it really works. I have several moving boxes I can use.

Use them along with newspaper and the heavy landscape fabric.After awhile the cardboard will detoriate
  • Roxaneg

Yes it will. I use newspapers-- 3-5 pages thick as a weed barrier. Cardboard does break down over time as do the newspapers. Remove the tape and stickers.

I've used both in new beds, then covered in mulch to prevent weeds. in mulch to prevent weeds. in mulch to prevent weeds. You can also use brown grocery bags.

Just keep in mind that the cardboard will eventually disintegrate.
  • Johnavallance82

It will help. It might be better if you planted a ground cover plant....
  • DesertRose

YES! Paper is actually the BEST way to prevent weeds between plants! cover with mulch when you get it laid down

Just remember, that whatever you put down will prevent weeds from coming up from the bottom. Nothing will prevent the weeds from growing on the dirt on top of what you put down. And, that weed fabric is a pain in the hind end! You can't dig through it later on and it's just a mess. However, it is great if you are redoing a couch or chair. It's great for replacing that material that goes on the bottom of the chair or couch to catch the dust. Can't remember what it's called:(
  • Barbara Baldwin

Check, I even used old blankets..
  • Kathie

Yes it will, but only for a short period of time. Adding thick layers of newspaper will help. Be sure to wet everything down before adding the soil on top. If this is going to be a garden area, as opposed to grass, I would add the extra measure of piling on natural mulch after planting your flowers/veggies.