Sofa Table Constructed From a Salvaged Pallet

$17.00
1 Week

I've been looking online for a used sofa table that I could use in my living room. After several weeks shopping Craigslist, used furniture stores and Facebook garage sales I hadn't found anything that I liked.
I had an 8 foot pallet that was in pretty good condition so I decided to build my own. I knew that I wanted to use only the wood from the pallet and that I didn't want the legs to look like 2 x 4's. Because I needed to rip the 2 x 4's down to 1 1/2" I couldn't have any nails left in the wood and I couldn't just cut the pallet apart. After spending several hours carefully prying and removing nails from the pallet I was ready to go.
I found two tables on Pinterest that I liked and I combined aspects of the two to make this table. Total cost after purchasing a paint sample and handles was $17.00.
This was the basic design. At this point I needed to see how the height worked with my couch.
I build a shelf for the bottom and made some drawer fronts. I stained the drawers and the edges with Minwax dark walnut so that it would show after the paint was sanded a bit.
I made some black chalk paint with a 7 oz. sample that I purchased from Menard's.
Fake drawers with cup handles that were purchased at Menard's.
The whole table including top were finished with Minwax clear wax.

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests

• Sam

I want to make this in school but I need the exact plans, could you share?

• Shawna Bailey

Check out this website, she has a lot of plans and so are similar to this table http://www.thecreativemom.com/17-simple-furniture-building-plans-for-beginners/

• Brian S

Sam, I didn't use plans to make this table. I based the height and length based on the size of the couch that it was going to be placed behind. I knew in my head what I wanted it to look like and then just built it. I can take some measurements and give you those but I don't have the exact plans.

• Brian S

Sam, The top of the table is 48" x 15" constructed of 5 boards that are 3" x 48". The front and rear aprons are 42" x 5". Side aprons are 9" x 5". Legs measure 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 31 1/2". Drawer fronts are 11 1/2" x 3". The shelf on the bottom measures 42" x 11". All of the boards used to construct the shelf are 1 1/2" wide. The end pieces are 11" long with 5 38 1/2 boards spaced evenly running between the end pieces.

• Sam

I want to try this is school but i need the exact plans, any chance you could share them?

• Brian S

Sam, The top of the table is 48" x 15" constructed of 5 boards that are 3" x 48". The front and rear aprons are 42" x 5". Side aprons are 9" x 5". Legs measure 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 31 1/2". Drawer fronts are 11 1/2" x 3". The shelf on the bottom measures 42" x 11". All of the boards used to construct the shelf are 1 1/2" wide. The end pieces are 11" long with 5 38 1/2" boards spaced evenly running between the end pieces.

• Sam

Thank you very much

• Brian S

You're welcome. Let me know if you have more questions.