Keep That Mulch Off Your Driveway With a Clean Crisp Edge.

$30

I constantly have mulch coming onto my driveway and walkway. I need a simple and clean edge to keep things in place.

I thought about using a hard edge... putting bricks along the side of my walkway... but that is a lot of material and pain.

I decided to just buy a simple NO DIG edging product. Here it is.

Materials:
+ The No Dig Kit. It comes with some 8in plastic spikes.
+ I used a plastic mallet for brick work. You can use a hammer.
+ I bought some extra 10in metal spikes (left over from a previous project)

**NOTE** - HomeTalk seems to add their own links to items with links to give them a referral credit. I cannot control that. The items they list are not always the correct ones... so just keep that in mind when you go looking for parts. Reach out to me if you have any question at all. I respond quick.

UPDATE:
I have stood outside during a torrential rain storm (under and umbrella) and watched how well this works. Rain passes under the edging... so the mulch does not float away. My mulch is on a graded hill though and I have some rocks under the mulch to help water flow. This has held up well. The occasional mulch comes over from wind... but all in all it holds them back well. I have noticed on hot days the edging can flax a bit... so the more spikes you use closer together, the less issue you should have. It is nice and flexible... I did not want a hard edge in case you drive on or step on it (By accident).
Here you can see the problem. Mulch just coming over on my nice walkway I put down. I extended my driveway using some left over bricks I had from another project!
I pushed all the mulch out of the way to make room for the edging.
Here is the product. I got a 40ft kit, but I had some leftover stakes from a different projects so I will use them up here (Some are long metal spikes).

See Material list at the top.

I started with a metal 10inch spike to anchor it down.

You can see my gutter run off pipe I have... I have 2 gutters connected underground that come out here onto some rocks to prevent run off. It works well. I started this edging just past it so it did not interfere with water.
I added a plastic spike every 4-5 holes. Depending on if I hit a rock or or the curve started earlier.
It goes down very quickly! Looking good so far.
I was surprised how easily I could turn a sharp corner. I just needed some extra spikes to keep things in place.

It also cut very easily with some shears.
I had a little extra so I put it on the other side... it is fine that it did not go all the way up the walkway to the trash cans... because I built that on an incline... so mulch tends to stay in place.
Here is the final look. Clean edge. I can even "accidentally" step on t without it moving around. Holds that mulch back nicely.
I just use the blower along the edge to keep it looking nice and clean!

So... in the end this product as a great buy. Easy to install if you have extra spikes... Turns a curve nicely too!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Stanley Tools Rubber Mallet, 22oz (BOS57522) .#GH45843...

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!

• Ed

My pavers where installed with concrete. So there is a overlap of concrete. So I can not put the border next to the pavers. Any ideas

• Elaine Rice

Maybe line the pavers with decorative brick, then put the border next to the brick.

• Summer

Would this work to border the edges of a driveway, that is, one that goes up and down a hill, preventing grass from coming onto it, etc. Suggestions?

• Chris Ann

,Oops, my poor tablet skills. Obviously should have typed "pick up your own stone ..."

• Di Marie

Will this work for edging grass lawn?

• Martha
      Yesterday

Yes I did this last weekend and it was so easy. I used landscape fabric and covered that with mulch. My St Augustine grass was thinning out under a big Plumeria tree canopy so this took care of that. It also allows the leaves to drop and hardly be seen mixing in with the mulch.