Spring Flowerbed Project

$200

For the past couple of years I just let the wildflowers and weeds, if you will, take over. So last spring, I decided to take back my flowerbed. As you will see the before and after photos. But wait until you see this years flower bed. So, stay tuned.
spring flowerbed project
This is my flowerbed last spring, before I decided to take it back.
spring flowerbed project
And another photo of the wild flowerbed. It really needed some good cleaning up.
spring flowerbed project
We tilled it all up, and added layers of mulch. Getting ready to give it a new life
spring flowerbed project
And another angle...
spring flowerbed project
Now, starting to add the plants...
spring flowerbed project
Added more planters and plants... looking better slowly
spring flowerbed project
Here is another section of the flowerbed.
spring flowerbed project
This is last summer in full bloom.
spring flowerbed project
And another view of the flowerbed in full bloom.
spring flowerbed project
still another...
spring flowerbed project
and another...
spring flowerbed project
Yup, you guessed it...another angle.
spring flowerbed project
The bicycle was purchased at a garage sale for $5, I added an oblong flower container between the bikes handles, planted flowers and added a pink and yellow rose garland along the frame of the bike.
spring flowerbed project
spring flowerbed project

• Mulch  (from trees consumers had to cut down along the electrical lines)
  • 3 half rain barrels  (TSC)
  • Plants  (Walmare, Meijer and Home Depot)

• Camilledrinan

But, you used so much more. No mention about the flagstones, old plow, and other interesting items scattered around. Since all are in pots, how do you handle the watering? By hand, soaker hoses, timed irrigation? Potted plants dry out faster, so how often do you water them?
    • Carey

Your transformation is lovely!! I esp. like the bicycle. I have several bicycles that were my husbands which are much to big for me to ride. They are really nice bikes so except for the one that my Daughter wants, I plan to sell them since it would be a shame to ruin such nice bikes when someone could get some real use of them. But I also have an old bike frame that I think I can add enough to to make a similar display without ruining a really nice bicycle. If not, I will be looking for one for $5 as you found!! : ) I also like the turned over wheelbarrow with the flowerpots pouring out of it. What a series of wonderful ideas that you have added to your garden! For me, I would NEVER be able to keep the plants watered by hand, so it would have to be a drip system to water, but that can certainly be arranged.
      When we were in Germany (my husband was in the military) we lived on the economy and on afternoons when he wasn't working, our family rode bicycles out into the countryside. One of the homes that we rode by, really startled us when we saw a lovely green lawn and a good sized one at that, and the elderly lady there was carefully watering her lawn with a sprinkling can. You reminded me of that and what admiration I had for that lady and not a brown spot in her lawn that summer! : ) GOOD JOB!!!
  • Tina Mcnicholas

Why not plant some flowers in the ground like perennials?
    • April Proudfoot

I actually have perennials planted. Scroll back and you will see lavender, balloon flowers, hydrangeas and mums.
  • Cindy spalsbury

Where did u get the cement stepping stones that look like foot prints
    • April Proudfoot

We purchased the foot print stepping stones from Meijer several years ago.

• Joyce

Beautiful!
  • Emma

When I get back to my other home in Philippines, I will try to make my front yard look like this garden. Right now it is disheveled because of the Pergola being built but once that is done it'll be the garden that'll get worked on. Thanks for this idea it is so charming.