Kaufman.daniel
Kaufman.daniel
  • Hometalk Team
  • Canada

Chalk paint question

Kaufman.danielLinda SikutMalicity D'Obscura
+3

So, we got some old 50's piece of furniture for our living room. It's kinda old but with great potential. We were thinking of painting it with chalk paint. I learned that there are a few companies that offer chalk paint, can someone please explain to me the differences between the different brands? Which are the top brands and what is the best value for money? If you have images of furniture you painted and can upload it is even better. Thanks!

• Janet Panos

Hello! Top brands of chalk paint that are posted online appear to be Rustoleum and Valspar. However, many of the Hometalk crafters tend to use Annie Sloan chalk paint. Here are some of the photos from furniture prijects they did. Hope this helps you out!

• Mary Fischer

I have done a lot of chalk painting and used to sell it in a shop. I think Annie Sloan is the best because it is the original and not a polyurethane blend. It's expensive but it goes a long way. So do the waxes.
  • LJ

The cedar chest was from the 50s. I chalked painted with Michaels chalk paint and brown wax. The top I redid with stain . The next pic is of a homemade chalk paint. I used flat latex paint and plaster of Paris and a tad of water And then Annie Sloan wax.I have also done a set of kitchen cabinets in Annie Sloan antinque white chalk paint and her wax. Her paint is by far the best and goes a little further, but it's pricey. MIchaels , when u can use the coupons they are always giving out is a great price . The homemade stuff is good for small projects but is definitely not as nice as the other two I've tried. Sorry, I don't have any photos of the kitchen I did.hope this helps

• Malicity D'Obscura

I can't tell you the differences between the chalk paint brands, because I have never used them. I have, however, made it. I am a fine artist, with a BFA, and a retired Union Scenic Artist (painter for Major Motion Movies, etc.), so I have some experience, in case you wondered.

I worked a short while, for one of the top three companies producing "Primitive" furniture, where they made and used a lot of chalk paint. They are now selling it, under their brand's name, but it is made in a factory, under more stringent (precise) ways than we did.

There are plenty of recipes to make your own out there, if you feel up to it. It's very simple, and if you are budget conscious, probably cheaper. We took a cup of (hydrated) lime, a cup of powdered milk (dollar store!), a cup of Rainbow Concrete (https://www.amazon.com/Mutual-Industries-9007-0-5-Rainbow-Cement/dp/B00XNQR6VY Link is to Amazon, but any concrete supply store will carry them, or another brand)and mixed it up with water.

You can google other mixes, and here's one comparison of three: http://www.oldthingsnewblog.com/2012/07/3-homemade-chalk-paint-recipes-reviewed.html

In my experience, using good prep and materials are what really count. Also, if you are going to have these outside, seal them really well. I have a fondness for Zinsser, which has withstood the test of house painting I've done with some VERY rough on their house clients! (https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/zinsser/)

You'd want to go with a satin, or matte finish, for an authentic look. Put your first coat of chalk paint on, and while it's still wet, toss some dirt (such as sand) here and there on it. Try not to leave any brush strokes, but you can paint it on with some build up. Let it dry and you can use (carefully!) a heat gun or torch to slightly scorch some areas, for more interest.

Once it has fully dried, add the next layer and colour, if you are doing two. Once this has dried, you sand it, which is where the dirt will add to the random wearing down. Be sure to think about where the use of the piece would have been most likely to have the paint worn, if you are going for a shabby look.

If you expose some wood, take some stain and darken it, so that it doesn't look new. Wipe off the excess. To further the aged look, you would want to do a glaze over it, with a bit of Raw Umber tint in it. If you are finishing with, say, a Poly, then make a "wash" of it, by mixing some with water, the Raw Umber/some dark brown paint, and rub it on. You can also melt some Finish Wax for floors, add the tint, and seal it that way, although I am not sure how it would do in inclement weather.

On the other hand, I am sure that any of the major brands have all of these steps covered, and soon others will answer your question properly! So, all the best and I look forward to seeing what others say. Cheers.
  • Linda Sikut

Annie Sloan was the first one to introduce chalk paint. Now there are a lot of brands and even DIY recipes to make it yourself. The advantage of DIY is that it can be made in any color you want. You're not limited to what the paint company has made. Here's the search page for ' DIY make your own chalk paint '. There are several ways to make it so read up on each of them if you want to do it this way. Chalk paint must be waxed when you finish because it's water based and if water gets on it, the water could remove the paint. You'll need to rewax several times a year. Some are also saying you can use a poly acrylic. Polyurethane tends to turn yellowish after a while.

Here is the image search for DIY chalk painted furniture on google. To see more info about the picture click on the picture then, on the right, click on Visit. To go back to continue looking, first use your back button to get to the picture, then just use the X on the upper right of the picture and all the others will come back.

Good luck!
  • Kaufman.daniel

Thanks all!