DIY Acorn Front Porch Sign

69K Views
Fall is here and it's time to boost your curb appeal with some seasonal accents! While pumpkins are always a go-to for fall decor, why not try a different seasonal staple this year - the acorn! Whip up a cute DIY Acorn Sign for your front porch and keep it out until winter. (You might also enjoy checking out my other Fall & Seasonal Projects in my Project Gallery here!)
To begin, all you need is a piece of scrap plywood, like this, or a large wooden plaque from the craft store.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • diy acorn front porch sign
Begin by staining the wood piece in the color of your choice. I love to use stain cloths because the color goes on quick with little mess and smell!
  • diy acorn front porch sign
Once the stain has dried, draw an acorn on the front of the board with a pencil. Then begin to fill in the bottom portion of the acorn with brown paint.
  • diy acorn front porch sign
Fill in the top part of the acorn with a darker shade of brown paint.
  • diy acorn front porch sign
To make your acorn look less "flat," add some highlights and accents with cream-colored and brown paint.
  • diy acorn front porch sign
Paint some criss-crosses on the top part of the acorn to add even more dimension.
  • diy acorn front porch sign
Once you've finished painting, hot glue jute rope around the body of the acorn to help it stand out even more!
  • diy acorn front porch sign
Add some faux oak leaves and ribbon at the top for a pretty, decorative touch.
  • diy acorn front porch sign
And then, to fill in the bottom of the acorn, hot glue a wooden letter in the middle! I made this sign for my mom, so I used the first letter of her last name. At this point I also added a wash of watered-down white paint around the acorn to make the contrast between the board and the acorn more prominent.
  • diy acorn front porch sign
Once everything is dry and hot glued, display your new front porch sign and enjoy!
  • diy acorn front porch sign
If you enjoyed this project, please visit me at my blog for lots of home decor and craft ideas! You might like looking at my Home Decor Gallery to get an idea of my style! Happy fall, friends!

Suggested materials for this project:

• Scrap wood
  • Acrylic paint
  • Jute rope
Bre @ Average But Inspired