Asked on Oct 15, 2017

Do you have any help for my cabinets?



I see many updates for cabinets but need a fix for 80's cabinets with the wood across the top.

2 answers
  • Pinkystarfish
    on Oct 15, 2017

    I am not sure what you mean by wood across the top, but my husband and I updated our kitchen cabinets and the space above by adding trim and then repainting the entire area with trim paint. I think one of the biggest things that dates cabinetry is the short cabinet doors. Painting everything in trim paint gives the illusion of the cabinet being taller. Our cabinets were solid wood and I couldn't see replacing them with something inferior. I'm not sure if this answers your specific problem. Maybe you can post a picture?
  • Ebbjdl
    on Oct 15, 2017

    Start with picking a paint you can wash(high-gloss). Wash the cabinets with Murphy's oil soap, this will get the oil and gunk off the wood. Remove the hardware, and a few doors. Paint the doors on a flat surface, to avoid streaks and blobs. 2 coats will do it, dry completely between each coat. The other thing you can do is wash with Murphy's oil soap, and dry completely. Then use either Wilbert's lemon oil on the cabinets, and buff to a nice shine. There's also a product called Rejuvenate, which brings back the luster, and looks professional.
Your comment...