Adrianne Surian
Adrianne Surian
  • Grand Rapids, MI

Arm-knit a Blanket in One Hour! #HomeCrafts

$15

I am not a knitter. Or a crochet-er. I'm an instant-gratification kind of DIY-er. So I am hooked on making these one-hour throw blankets for cozying up our living spaces! Or rather - UNhooked, because you don't need hooks or needles. You knit them ON your ARMS. If you haven't heard of arm knitting, you have to check it out. Even if you have no experience (I didn't!) you can do this in an hour. Pop an episode of your favorite show on, and have a blanket when you're done! I'll show you how. (If you want more detail on any of these steps, be sure to visit the full blog post at the link under the photos below - I have a lot more space to elaborate on the steps on the blog than in photo captions.)
how to arm knit a blanket in only one hour, crafts
Knit a beautiful chunky throw in any color to match your living room decor.
Using 3 skeins of yarn, measure 12 feet, and tie a slip knot that will fit your forearm. Slip it onto your arm
Hold both your measured yarn and your working yarn coming off the skeins in your opposite hand.
Create stitches and cast them directly onto your arm. Keep them loose enough to slide up your arm to your elbow. The labeled graphic shows you how. (You can also see the full blog post for much more details on these steps.)
Once you've cast your stitches on, it's time to knit! Grab your working yarn with your first-row hand. Pull one loop over your hand, creating a new stitch with the working yarn. Slip this over your opposite arm, and complete the row.
Repeat knitting until you have your preferred length. When you're finished, bind off by making two stitches, and pulling the first over and off the second. Keep adding one stitch at a time and binding off. Tie a knot to finish.
When you're done, you'll have a chunky knit throw blanket to cozy up with on your couch - that you made yourself!
Adrianne Surian

• Theresa

I've been making "infinity" scarves by arm knitting so I know how but my question is the same as the other lady.....how many stitches do you cast on to start this blanket???

• Sjt29229935

You need to follow the link to her blog and the answer can be found there.

"Now, let’s cast on the first row. I made mine 25 stitches (you can certainly do more if you want a larger blanket). Now the dimensions will vary based on how much you stretch it when you use it, and also how big your arms are. So I can’t give you an exact finished dimension except to say, this made for a nice, big, lap sized throw."

• Rhonda S

I live in a very rural area, and this supper chunky yarn has not made it to local stores. Do you think using multiple skeins at the same time wpuld have a similar effect? I see you used three strands...was that the purpose?

• Rhonda S

I have not. It will be a cold weather project. It is still 85 degrees at bed time here.

• Ardale

What is the finished size of this blanket? I'd also like to know if a person wanted to make a large blanket using more skeins of yarn would you have to feed all of your skeins at the same time like you do with the three skeins you use making this blanket or would a person just go ahead and use the three skeins then once you get to the end of each skein just tie that end to the beginning of a new skein and continue on until the large blanket is finished?