When should I trim my grape vines and how far back?

Janet PizaroRita d waibelKar28903899

Recently asked about trimming their fruit trees and I was surprised to learn about the winter being the time to do that. So does that also apply to grape vines and how far back to the main vine do I trim?

• Kar28903899

Yes, grapes fruit on new wood. So the current vines need to be trimmed back to only 6-8 buds near the trunk of the vine.
    • Ins24294953

thank you for your help. I had a lot of grapes this year but the bunches were not of good quality so I thought a good trimming might yield a better crop next year. Plus I need to get better control of the plant.
  • Rita d waibel

I was told to trim my grape vines in February. I don't remember the exact length but fairly short. I had so many grapes that fall that i made everything of them & also gave a lot away. Pruning really worked
    • Ins24294953

Thank you for your help. I'm making a note to myself to make a path through the snow (I live in upstate N.Y.) in February to the backyard to trim the grape vine back.