Does wallpaper need to be removed before tiling a bathroom wall ?

Marie RotherSSandra Allen
+15

I have an entire bathroom that is wallpapered yes , including the ceiling
do I need to remove the wallpaper before I tile ?

• Susan Whalen

Yes.
  • Karen Elwell

Yes. Just spray the walls one at a time wait a few minutes then grab a corner of one sheet of wallpaper at a time and pull slowly and it should come off. I see this all the time on DYI shows. You can spray fabric softener or even water I have even seen them you steam .the last one is less messy .You can even rent a steamer just for wallpaper removal.
  • R-b30574506

o
  • Susan Whalen

It will fall taking the wallpaper with it if there is not a strong surface for it to adhere to.
  • Nancy Turner

I would, just because if there are any places where the glue is starting to get weak, the tile may not stay up on the wall. The wallpaper may give out and cause the tile to fall off.
  • B. Enne

Yes it does.
  • Ebbjdl

I would tear down the wall paper, and start new. Buy a painter's tray, fill with hot water. Next you. might need a long handle to attach the roller. Put the roller in the hot water, and roll out to get excess water off the roller start

from the bottom up, and then with a large putty knife scrape the wallpaper off. You need to scrub the glue off the walls, with a sponge and warn water. If you put the tile over the wallpaper, it will eventually come off the wall because of the moisture. Good Luck!

• Marie Rother

Second month trying all these methods
      that’s why I’m about to give up
      Let me also explain this is vinyl wallpaper I just not really wallpaper it rubbery
  • Mary Riva

yes
  • Kar28903899

PYes because the glue holding the wallpaper may not be strong enough to hold the tile.
  • S

if you are installing tile correctly with cement backer board made for this purpose you shouldn’t have to remove the wallpaper. The ceiling if you are going to paint then yes remove it. Sounds like you better spend some time researching proper tile installatinext or your tile may not hold up very well. It isn’t as easy as just slapping it on any old surface.
  • Sandra Allen

Nope. Many of these links say the same thing so here is one that will help.

• S

Just didn’t want you spending a lot of money only to have it not last!
  • Marie Rother

Thank you so much this will really help