Nancy Flemming
Nancy Flemming
  • Canada

What to do with orangy oak kitchen cabinets, do not want to paint!

Nancy FlemmingNon15902826She20676685
+6

We have a log home, the logs on the inside have been refinished to natural light pine. The floor is birch and also natural color. The kitchen cabinets are the original cathedral top cabinets yellow/orangy oak, white countertops and backsplash. Counter will be changed out to granite or quartz in a year or two. Want to keep the all wood cabinets but update and lessen the orangy and heavier oak grain, what can I do without using paint or going too dark?

• 27524803

you could try a grey or white wash... mix 1 part paint to 5 parts water... paint small section and wipe off excess until you get the color you want... they grey might counter act the orange the best
  • Fauxgal

You can use a gel stain. They are not hard to do and fairly quick. Just make sure you choose the color you want and try on an inside tiny area.
  • Nancy Turner

I would strip one of the doors and see what it will be like without the stain that is on it. Years ago hubby and I had dark kitchen cabinetry in a small kitchen that made it dark and look smaller. We striped the cood and found that what was left was actually beautiful wood grain and the color was perfect! We cleaned it up and then just finished it with a couple of coats of clear polyurethane. The kitchen looked so much better with the light color and the wood grain finally could be seen and not just a hint when the light hit it just right when it was still dark.
  • Nancy Flemming

Nancy Turner what did you strip yur cabinets with and were you able to get into all the crevasis?
  • Ppo27016769

A wood stain? Or using a deep shade of Old English?
  • She20676685

sand and stain different color
  • Non15902826

I have found that clear polyurethane on wood (mostly pine) will turn to an orangey shade as it ages.
  • Nancy Flemming

Even the polyurethane that isn't suppose to yellow?

• Nancy Flemming

Oh my cabinets are solid oak.