Sandy
Sandy
  • Robertsdale, AL

How to keep a cut half of cabbage from getting brown in fridge?

EbbjdlCam21714060Marianne Howley
+5

When making coleslaw for just 2 people I cut a head of cabbage in half and put the other half in the fridge. A few days later when I want to use it the cut side is brown and I have to cut it off. I have wrapped in plastic wrap and in plastic bag. any suggestions?

• Carrie Livingston

Happens less when stored with cut side is dry. Lemon juice spritz works for fruit. Hello from FL USA
    • Sandy

Thank you for the tip. I will dry the cut side of the cabbage head with paper towel. Worth a try. Thank you and Hello from Alabama!
  • Mae Garrels

stretch plastic wrap tightly over the cut side, make sure to get all the air out, wrap the plastic wrap around the entire portion of cabbage, then place in a plastic bag in veggie drawer... I've kept cabbage for a week like this and it does not turn brown or go bad. We're down to two now in our family so I buy smaller heads of cabbage when I shop!
  • Nancy Turner

There are baggies out there that keep fruits and vegetables fresh for a long time. Had a head of lettuce that stayed good for three weeks.
  • Marianne Howley

there are two tricks ...first use a ceramic knife to cut lettuce and cabbage...for some reason the metal is what makes them get brown...then ...when you store lettuce ,cabbage ,cauliflower etc...in a plastic bag ...wrap first in paper towel... I keep all my vegtables etc...for at least 2 weeks this way..hate going to the store...
    • Sandy

Thank you for the tips. I do use a metal knife I admit. I have a plastic one I use on lettuce but it is not strong enough to cut through a head of cabbage. I will get a ceramic knife. Thank you1
  • Cam21714060

You must be cutting with a steel knife. Always use a plastic knife for cabbage.
  • Ebbjdl

Put the cabbage in a pot of cool water, put into the frig, and it should keep fine. Change the water every 2 days. I do this with my celery. Parsley. I chop, and put it in a zip lock in the freezer, and when I make soup, I break off what I need.