Penny
Penny
  • Rotonda West, FL

How do I stain pine wood so it looks like oak

FauxgalNick WayJanet Pizaro

I have a pine table which is waxed and a yellow colour, I want it to change to a lightish oak colour to match my chairs, any ideas?

• Nick Way

Pine is a wide-grained soft wood whereas oak is a narrow-grained hardwood. As such it's nearly impossible to match the grains. Color wise, however, since pine soaks up stain much better than oak, it is possible to match the colors of the two different woods. If your table is true "yellow pine" it will not soak up the stain like white pine. Strip the table of all finish you can remove, first with a chemical stripper and the progressively sand until the wood is bare. Take a chair to the store you use to buy your stain and match to the correct color. Try the stain on a place on the table, underneath if possible. Keep the stain stirred well at all times. If the wood absorbs the stain too quickly and thus turns darker than you want, apply a coat of sanding sealer, let it dry, sand it lightly, and then try the stain again. If it is ever too light, simply continue apply another coat till you get the color as close as you can get. Always apply stain in the direction of the grain, keep a dry cloth handy to wipe off excess and keep the stain evenly applied. I prefer using good cotton rags with no lint to both apply and wipe the stain, but some people prefer to apply with a good bristle brush. Anyway, good luck.
  • Fauxgal

I would sand it down to bare wood (sand only in the direction of the grain). Once clean and dry. Use a wood conditioner. Then apply the lighter oak stain, and seal it as directed above.