Asked on Oct 16, 2017

Converting wood burning fireplace to gas without and insert.



I have a "see through" fireplace (between two rooms) of the type that takes outside air blows it through a series of tubes exposed to the flames and exhausts the heated air into the rooms ( 1970s ELCO- made by Anderson Mfg.) . Any way I can I just install a gas log set in the fire box and do whatever else is required to be in code (secure damper open, seal the glass doors, et c) instead of using a commercially made "insert?" The heat exchange system (tubes) bricked into the fireplace is not compatible with any insert and would have to be removed, but not without substantial (and impractical) brick removal/rebuilding and expense.

2 answers
  • 27524803
    on Oct 16, 2017

    You should probably find a contractor/plumber to do it... Safely... check with Home Advisor or Angie's List to find a good one in your area.
  • William
    on Oct 16, 2017

    Go to a fireplace shop and present your idea to them. They can tell you whether it can be done. A contractor or plumber would not have any idea. The fireplace pros would.
Your comment...