Do you have to use a primer when painting over an off white flat paint

GinnySharonJewellmartin
+12

• Skye

I would, But no
  • Gail Morey

A lot of paints now come with a pain and primer in one can. Save yourself time and effort, and buy the right kind.
  • Gail Morey

paint
  • 27524803

The flat paint can act as the primer, depending on what you use to go over it (with)
  • Diana Deiley

Whatever you are painting make sure it is clean first, then just paint over it. I sometimes use flat as a primer (in the same color spectrum) then paint with a satin or semi gloss finish. Best of luck.
  • Suellen Hintz

I'd not use one.
  • Lori

No

• Lori

Flat paint is NOT a primer. Primer is made for new paint to conceal a color and add with the adhesion of the new paint,

You will get better coverage with the new paint using a good primer fir
  • Ebbjdl

Paint it. Primer is for things that have not been painted, and it is usually used on metal. Your flat paint will act as a primer. Don't buy primer already in the paint, it doesn't work like it should.
  • Af

I wash mine with TSP first to prep them and have not had an issue yet.
  • Michele Pappagallo

You don't have to....but primer always gives you a nice, smooth base coat for new paint to grab onto to. Also, depending on your new paint color, you can use a darker primer to help save paint.
  • Jewellmartin

Clean and dust the walls and remove baseboards before you paint, though. 😇💞
  • Sharon

And it depends how long that paint has been on the wall and how porous, it could act as a sponge and suck up your paint without the primer. So a good choice would be a combo paint/primer in one.
    If your going really deep or dark in color, a tinted primer would reduce the number of coats you would have to apply. As in a pink tinted primer, will give a richer red with better coverage.
  • Ginny

I was told by a professional painter to use a primer if you are changing brands or going from semi-gloss to flat. Ask your paint store for additional advice.