Judi
Judi
  • La Habra, CA

What can I grow in a shaded area outside my breakfast window?

JewellmartinCindyMarla James
+11

Windows are about 3 feet off the ground so would have to grow 4 to 5 feet. I live in Southern California.

• 27524803

Go to a LOCAL nursery in your area and ask them what works.... in Southern CA there should be lots to choose from... they will be able to tell you.
  • Suellen Hintz

Hosts do well. Any shade loving plant should work if watered properly.
  • Diana Deiley

If your area is under a water restriction, why not consider rock & mulch landscaping, adding potted plants for color which can be changed out with the seasons. Add a bench, birdbath, or small boulder for a focal point. Best of luck.
  • Judi

Thank you.

• Lonnie Bachman

Hostas there are several varieties. Solid green, variegated stripe. They get a tall flower in the middle when they bloom? They do best in the shade. Hope this helps.
  • Cle29960037

what part of So CA? Depends on weather. Azaleas, gardenias, hydrangeas.
  • Deborah Parliament

Shade impatience
  • Hialeah Rouge

Ruellia- (check spelling) purple blooms and grow year round. Thrives on neglect in Southern California and anywhere else in almost any light conditions. Make sure it doesn’t take over your yard. We cut ours down in the winter and start over every year. It only dies if you pull it up and hummingbirds like it.
  • DesertRose

Any shade loving plants would do well, for example hostas. Go to a local nursery and look at the tabs on the plants, they will say full sun, partial sun, or shade. You could pick what you like best in the shade category.
  • Linda Sikut

If you want to use your computer and look around the internet to see what's out there, simply search for ' shade plants hardiness zone 10a ' That's why the emphasis on local. Each area has a hardiness zone that lets you know what plants will grow in that area. Yours is 10a. Here's some idea that I found

Good luck!
  • Marla James

Visit a local garden center (not a big box store). They usually have knowledgeable personnel who can help you select the right plants for your area. Let them know the amount of light and time of day it gets full sun.
  • Cindy

Hi Judi, Hostas and petunias do well in shade. They both come in a lot of different sizes and colors. I'm in Illinois and those are two plants that do well in shade here. I agree with Marty about contacting your local nursery for advice. Another good source for advice would be agriculture department of colleges.
  • Jewellmartin

And consider calla lilies or canas. I also like the idea of a bench, or staircase plant stand so you can change the view from time to time. And you can't beat rose bushes on a trellis, either. Best wishes 😇💞