DIY Cinder Block Raised Garden Bed

$40

I have a garden bed in my home's front yard where nothing grows. Even worse, the ground there is hard as a rock! So I recently built a super inexpensive raised garden bed there so I could plant some colorful fall mums.
I had some concrete/cinder blocks left over from a previous project, so I decided to put them to use. I thought they'd be good for building a raised garden bed, so I laid them out in a rectangular shape.
After the garden bed was laid out, all there was left to do was fill my new garden bed with dirt and plant some mums! I also used some concrete bricks to cover the holes in the cinder blocks. (Another option would have been to also plant in the holes of the cinder blocks.)

The mums add a lot of color to my home's front yard. I am looking forward to planting the bed with some pretty flowers in the spring! I also might place a colorful Adirondack chair next to the planting bed.
At some point, I'm thinking of using concrete to mortar the bed together and to add more concrete bricks to the top of the raised garden bed frame. This was a super easy project -- it took me less than 2 hours in all!
I'm pretty happy with how my project turned out. In the spring, I'm contemplating perhaps getting more concrete bricks to better cover the holes in the blocks. I might often widen the bed a bit. Or, I could plant ivy or marigolds in the holes. I would also like to add more mulch to the garden bed. It's a work in progress!

12 Cinder Blocks

Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Everything Red For Canada Day
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Lauren of Mom Home Guide

• Christina Lynn Feldhake
    Christina Lynn Feldhake

Why not plant just green tall grasses or plants in the bed, and then, rather than cover the holes in the cinder blocks, plant small flowers in them for a splash of color? Or lay the cinder blocks on the side, still plant the grasses and plant creeping phlox or something similar in the holes like it's spilling out? Just a couple of other ideas. ☺
    • Vicenta Gibbons
      Vicenta Gibbons

Great ideas, Christina! I, too, was thinking that I wouldn’t want to cover up those holes, but rather use them for other smaller or creeping plants!

• Zzz8284885
    Zzz8284885

When I saw the cinderblocks by the big tree, I was hoping that there was a project around the tree, that is what i need to dress up my big tree. nothing wants to grow there. Can you help me.

Thanks,

zzzmex@comcast.net

• Dla7578319
    Dla7578319

Yes, ready I am.... just need the blocks

What do I use for the liner... can I use large black plastic Bags ... ?

• Kor22691877
      Kor22691877

I use old carpeting. It drains but blocks weeds, you can also just throw it on the ground, cut a hole to put your plants in and then cover with mulch. Been doing this for years

• Tonya
    Tonya

Not putting flat blocks on top but filling the holes with herbs or some sort of flowers also would be cute.

• Bobbi Convery
    Bobbi Convery

This little planter will fill in nicely and you will be glad you did it. Thanks for the tutorial.