DIY Cinder Block Raised Garden Bed

$40

I have a garden bed in my home's front yard where nothing grows. Even worse, the ground there is hard as a rock! So I recently built a super inexpensive raised garden bed there so I could plant some colorful fall mums.
diy cinder block raised garden bed
I had some concrete/cinder blocks left over from a previous project, so I decided to put them to use. I thought they'd be good for building a raised garden bed, so I laid them out in a rectangular shape.
diy cinder block raised garden bed
After the garden bed was laid out, all there was left to do was fill my new garden bed with dirt and plant some mums! I also used some concrete bricks to cover the holes in the cinder blocks. (Another option would have been to also plant in the holes of the cinder blocks.)

diy cinder block raised garden bed
The mums add a lot of color to my home's front yard. I am looking forward to planting the bed with some pretty flowers in the spring! I also might place a colorful Adirondack chair next to the planting bed.
diy cinder block raised garden bed
At some point, I'm thinking of using concrete to mortar the bed together and to add more concrete bricks to the top of the raised garden bed frame. This was a super easy project -- it took me less than 2 hours in all!
diy cinder block raised garden bed
I'm pretty happy with how my project turned out. In the spring, I'm contemplating perhaps getting more concrete bricks to better cover the holes in the blocks. I might often widen the bed a bit. Or, I could plant ivy or marigolds in the holes. I would also like to add more mulch to the garden bed. It's a work in progress!

12 Cinder Blocks
Lauren of Mom Home Guide

• Tom Crosby

Do you mean concrete blocks ?

• Kyle Roberts

Both concrete and cinder blocks have the holes, cinder blocks are just much lighter and fragile as they are made up of a different sediment than the concrete blocks.

• Zzz8284885

When I saw the cinderblocks by the big tree, I was hoping that there was a project around the tree, that is what i need to dress up my big tree. nothing wants to grow there. Can you help me.

Thanks,

zzzmex@comcast.net

• Dla7578319

Yes, ready I am.... just need the blocks

What do I use for the liner... can I use large black plastic Bags ... ?

• Kor22691877

I use old carpeting. It drains but blocks weeds, you can also just throw it on the ground, cut a hole to put your plants in and then cover with mulch. Been doing this for years

• Tonya

Not putting flat blocks on top but filling the holes with herbs or some sort of flowers also would be cute.

• Bobbi Convery

This little planter will fill in nicely and you will be glad you did it. Thanks for the tutorial.