DIY Cinder Block Raised Garden Bed

417K Views
I have a garden bed in my home's front yard where nothing grows. Even worse, the ground there is hard as a rock! So I recently built a super inexpensive raised garden bed there so I could plant some colorful fall mums.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $40Difficulty: Easy
  • diy cinder block raised garden bed
I had some concrete/cinder blocks left over from a previous project, so I decided to put them to use. I thought they'd be good for building a raised garden bed, so I laid them out in a rectangular shape.
  • diy cinder block raised garden bed
After the garden bed was laid out, all there was left to do was fill my new garden bed with dirt and plant some mums! I also used some concrete bricks to cover the holes in the cinder blocks. (Another option would have been to also plant in the holes of the cinder blocks.)

• diy cinder block raised garden bed
The mums add a lot of color to my home's front yard. I am looking forward to planting the bed with some pretty flowers in the spring! I also might place a colorful Adirondack chair next to the planting bed.
  • diy cinder block raised garden bed
At some point, I'm thinking of using concrete to mortar the bed together and to add more concrete bricks to the top of the raised garden bed frame. This was a super easy project -- it took me less than 2 hours in all!
  • diy cinder block raised garden bed
I'm pretty happy with how my project turned out. In the spring, I'm contemplating perhaps getting more concrete bricks to better cover the holes in the blocks. I might often widen the bed a bit. Or, I could plant ivy or marigolds in the holes. I would also like to add more mulch to the garden bed. It's a work in progress!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 14, 2018 11:53 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Lauren of Mom Home Guide