Staghorn Fern Mount has bugs- how can I kill them?

Nancy SloanGeewBijous

I have a staghorn fern that I have nursed since plucking a section from a treasured plant when I left Florida and moved to Pennsylvania. I mounted it on a log and it now has 4 fronds after several years of being outdoors on a fence and indoors in a sunny window. The log is infested with termites or ants, resulting in constantly dropping sawdust or excrement. Is there a way to kill the bugs without killing the plant?

• Bijous

Nematodes feed on termites, bacteria, and other creatures. They do not harm the environment and are safe to use. It may cost you some money, but the treatment is effective enough to eradicate the termites. You can buy them on-line (even Amazon sells them). They are an investment for your beloved fern. Good Luck!
  • Geew

Termite waste is called "Frass". Small minuscule wood droppings like a powder. If you have them, get them out of your home asap, they will move on to other areas, anything wooden!
  • Nancy Sloan

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure I want to bring nematodes into the house, so I've resolved to either give the staghorn fern away to my daughter in Florida, or part company with it. THANK YOU for the prompt answers!