Gaylehaury
Gaylehaury
  • Davis Junction, IL

Why did my ferns die?????

LizMaryJanet Pizaro
+2

After a summer outside but NOT in the sun, I brought 3 very healthy ferns inside; A rabbit's foot; a Bird's Nest and what was labeled a "Fluffy" fern...I continued with the usual watering schedule and within a week all 3 looked close to dying; fronds shriveled, drooping and just drying up in general...I pulled one out of it's pot and there is no sign of root rot..all 3 are in well draining pots...HELP...I love these ferns...can anyone help? I have trimmed the obviously dead fronds off the plant.

Prior to bring them indoors,did you re-pot them in fresh soil and spray horticultural oil for insects?
  • Liz

They need to go into a dormant phase. What happens to the ferns left to grow outside? I have northern WI property loaded with ferns. They do survive.
    • Gaylehaury

I have a lot of outdoor ferns also but these are green house ferns...how would I acclimate to the inside?
  • Mary

might be shock from bringing the plants inside without acclimating them to inside the house
  • Liz

reduce the daylight like you would for other movable plants. do not water as frequently. allow it to be cool but not freeze.. mimic the out doors via light control. Contact the greenhouse or online supplier for better info.