Is there a special plumbers putty for putting in a sink drain?

+5
My husband installed a new sink drain but the putty does not seem to be drying. It's still soft. What's wrong?

• Ken Ken on Oct 17, 2017
    Nothing. It is supposed to stay that way.
    • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Oct 17, 2017
      Thanks Ken. Maybe it's that he didn't the drain centered tight enough, so I see more putty on one side than the other, which I can move around with my finger. Drives me nuts.
  • Amanda Amanda on Oct 17, 2017
    Hi Diana. Plumbers putty doesn't turn hard, so nothing is wrong.
  • Kim Kim on Oct 17, 2017
    The plumbers putty stays soft and it is OK to clean off the squished out parts off your drain.
    😊
      Thanks for the information. It is the excess that keeps coming off. The drain isn't centered tight enough leaving excess putty exposed.
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Oct 17, 2017
    Whew, had me scared for a minute there. I thought it was supposed to feel a little slimy, but I thought I might have missed something in recent years. On the other hand, if you see new bubbles in the putty, you may have a new leak or loose pipe. Just notice from time to time. And give hubby kudos for his work. 😇💞
  • Ken Ken on Oct 17, 2017
    He could probably tighten it more now and recenter it. Scrape the putty up with a fingernail and throw it away.