Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

How to Paint a Rusty Garage Door

$30

There’s nothing worse that rust spots on your garage doors. If you see rust spots on your garage door, you should remove them immediately. If you let it go one for too long you will end up having to replace the entire door. Most of the time you can spot-treat the problem to prevent it from growing.

Here are a few simple steps to repairing and painting the rust on your garage door.
how to paint a rusty garage door
Ugly!! To get rid of the rust, first clean the entire door with a mixture of water and TSP. Wipe down the door using a cleaning rag or utility sponge.  Then go back over it with a clean, dry rag.
how to paint a rusty garage door
There are a couple of ways you can sand off the rust. This may take a little bit of elbow grease. In case you’re too young to know this, it’s just a saying.

My Mother use to say that to me when I was a kid. I remember one day my sister was looking under the sink for elbow grease, LOL

You can do this by hand or with a electric sander. Use a medium grit sand paper (100 Grit) to start with, then use a 220 grit to finish.
how to paint a rusty garage door
Apply the primer. I did a spot treatment primer first. My blog post has the exact primers I used and recommend. The oil-based primer will prevent water and moisture from creating rust on your metal garage door again.

Then I primed the entire door . If you decide to try my Wood Grain technique you will need to tint the primer a base color as illustrated in my step-by-step video.

If you want to paint it instead you don’t have to tint the primer. Priming the entire door is necessary, it will act as a sealer and help the paint to adhere to the door. If you skip this step you will continue to have problems.
how to paint a rusty garage door
After priming the door, paint the garage door with your choice of color. Use an exterior water-based paint. Or … if you want to give your house instant curb appeal … try Wood Graining your garage door. I teach you how to do this in my wood grain tutorial which you can find here.

Make your neighbors jealous and be the talk of the neighborhood with your expensive-looking faux wood garage!

Come over to my blog by clicking the link below for more budget-friendly makeovers and tips. I would love to hear from you!

• Primer
  • Paint
Cheryl Phan

• Amy Rohde

How do you paint the parts in between the pieces? Like when the door is going up, can you see the old white color? I better check your blog.. maybe you addressed that there. Thanks!

• Robyn Garner

You need to paint, move the door a bit to expose new white edges, paint and repeat!

• Ann

Love that faux wood paint job! Our door faces west, so it gets a lot of sun....how is the color holding up? Will it fade quickly or at least last a few years?

• Cheryl Phan

I've been painting faux wood grain on garage doors for over 10 years. I did a client door 8 years ago and stoped by to look at it and it still looks like the day I did it. Prep and proper paint is important. I also use a great sealer so it won't fade. I have a step-by-step video and supply list on my website that walks you through it. here's the link http://artzyfartzycreations.com/paint-tutorials/ if you have any questions you can join my FB group and i can help you. Here's the link for https://www.facebook.com/groups/307630436236093/

• Mas29121218

My garage door is made out of fiberglass What paint or cleaner can I use Help please

• Dee

Thx for your reply Kim. They deleted mine too. I think we should complain about selling tutorials anytime we see them being sold. I wish others would too. Hometalk should care that it is turning off users.

• Sally

I bought the video and had no problem paying $77. 00. If you had a professional come to your home to do this is would cost between $1000 - $1200. The video was easy to follow and had step by step instructions as well as a supply list and a ton of painting tips. I'd rather pay a professional to tell me exactly what to use than to watch a free youtube video or listen to someone that doesn't know what they are talking about. I've messed up a couple of projects that way. BTW. No-one works for free.

• Chubby58

Love it! I've been contemplating painting my white garage door the wood-look as well. I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the inspiration! Your door is beautiful!