Someone Help!

BrendaLagree WyndhamDianacirce70
+8

I have lived with a super ugly trailer hitch. It’s right in front of the house and is the focal point of my front lawn. Not to mention it’s the first impression. Ugh! I have tried to cover it with lattes and you can see that ugliness. I once had a white picket fence there but it rotted away. I planted red roses there so it would cover the lattes. That was too much trouble, the plant went everywhere. i can’t wait to read your replies. Thanks.
q someone help
q someone help
q someone help
  • 27524803

We lived in a mobile home when I was a teen (looong time ago) and Dad built a box over and around the hitches that went all the way across the front of the trailer. Mom put potted plants up there like asparagus springerai and others.
    Can you have the tongue removed... I know that some of them bolt on. And if you store it under the trailer... it can be put back on, if the trailer ever needs to be moved...(most of them can't be because the axles and wheels are gone)
    A platform or box could be built from pallets.. (look on Pintrest for pallet planters). I would take out all of the greenery, put down a weed fabric, and fill with gravel... then anything planted could be in pots.
    The other thing you could do,, is put a large pot like a 24 tall X 24 wide X 24 deep
    galvanized horse/stock tank on either side of the tongue, with a small tree like lemon or lime or?? then plant pretty stuff like petunias or pansy s around the base another pot could sit ON the tongue with something drape-y in it.
    Good Luck
  • Rose Broadway

Get two small metal trellises, put one on each side coming to a point in front and plant a fast growing vine on both. Maybe Clematis or English Ivy. The other way is plant a shrub on each side toward the front of the hitch. Stay tuned, someone will come up with the magic idea!

Take the lattice out and put a whiskey barrel high enough in front and fill with seasonal flowers and decorations for your area
  • Amanda

Hello. You could build a wooden flower box. I would make it a square shape in the front but have the back cut out so you can slip it over the hitch. Almost like making it a U shape in the back but give the front of it a square shape look.
  • Diana Deiley

I'd clean out the entire area inclusive of the rocks and plants then start over. Place landscaping brick around it in a circular pattern stacking them to the height of the hitch, fill the area with gravel, place a wide enough planter horizontally and fill with your favorite flowers. OR spray paint the hitch black, plant dwarf shrubs around the hitch, lay mulch down and make it your focal area. Include a birdbath a decorative trellis or a shepherds hook with a hanging plant or wind chime, add a garden flag for a gorgeous welcoming focal home design. Best of luck.
  • Big lulu

The lattice does nothing but draw attention to that whole area. Remove all that.

There are fake rocks that might work, they come in different sizes and heights.

, This one is too short for your needs but you get the picture ha
  • Michele Pappagallo

I would build a box around it to cover it up, and then put potted plants, garden statues, etc on top. That would give a nice finished look. If it were me, I would build the box the entire length of the end of the trailer to look as if it is supposed to be there.
  • Denisenewby

When I had a trailer, I did something similar to the flower box idea, but made it a bench that went over the tongue with flower boxes on either side...
  • Dianacirce70

A friend of mine got bricks for free on Craigslist, built them up around her hitch and filled with dirt and planted a wide variety of flowers.
  • Lagree Wyndham

When I owned a mobile home I built a wall around to tongue of trailer out of the underpinning material and some scrap 2x4 for framing. I built it just high enough to conceal the tongue. Then I placed some board across the tongue and put flowerpots on top. It looked like a rectangle flower planter.
  • Brenda

Plant morning glory and moonflower. They will grow up and around the hitch. The morning glory will bloom in the morning and the moonflower will bloom in the evenings. They smell wonderful, too!