I would like some suggestions of how to over winter my Rose Tree.

Janet PizaroNancy TurnerRebecca Taylor
+12

When I looked it up on the internet they say to dig a trench and bury it for the winter but it is planted it in a pot that is 24in.deep by 24in. in diameter. This pot is insulated and close to the house. Can I just wrap the top of it with burlap or a rose cone?

• Rebecca Taylor

Hello, here is a site that tells you how. You will have to scroll down to the over wintering part.
  • Rose Broadway

Maybe this will help, although I didn't find any info on Rose Trees.

what is your location?How old is the plant
  • Nancy Turner

Any thing in a pot is prone to frozen roots as it does not have the insulation of the soil in the ground. Even perennials don't come back that are in huge pots. I don't know where you live, so I can't tell you if they will make it or not. Perhaps put the pot in your garage for the winter. It will not be exposed to the cold as much.
    • Sherry Pembleton

The pot is insulated and last winter I wrapped it with bubble wrap and coated the graft with wax. I had a beautiful show of roses in the spring but after they died off, I got no roses the rest of the summer. Just wondering what went wrong?
  • Lisa S.

Depends on where you live. If it is cold - the contents of the pot will freeze, freezing the roots. If you cannot do anything else, consider moving it into a garage / porch for the winter - just remember to water it.
  • Starr Wilson

I bring my Large plants in during the winter and put them by a window for sun. They lose a lot of their leaves but come back in the spring when I put them back outside.
  • Rebecca Taylor

You're very welcome. I am so glad it was helpful.
  • Nancy Turner

I found an article that includes overwintering. There are also many articles on roses, which should cover the rose trees because they are a rose bush grafted to a long rose cane. Perhaps you can find the answer to not getting more than roses just once a season. I don't know roses as I don't have a spot in my yard where I could have roses with the correct amount of sun. Too many huge trees. I live in SE Minnesota and I am in Zone 4A and can't keep any thing in a pot alive over winter without bringing it in no matter how big the pot is. I did not know that zones 5 and 6 extended so far to the north.