Shane Imler
Shane Imler
  • Schenectady, NY

Any suggestions for Dissolving paper?

BabsPat RugeCharlee Hunter
+11

I made a sign with copper nails. Without thinking, I taped the paper stencil to the wood and nailed through it. I was able to peel most of the paper away, but does anyone have any suggestions for dissolving the paper between the nails without damaging the finish on the nails? I got some out with water and a toothpick, but can’t get it all. Below is a picture with most of the paper removed.
q dissolving paper

Use a q-tip dabbed in oil
  • Just get a good pair of tweezers and start plucking.
  • Jewellmartin

Try more water and let it soak in. Then use dental floss and a straight pin.
  • Susan K Mullins

Try using Goo Gone on a Q Tip.
  • Cindy

You could try to dry it as much as possible and blow it out with a hair blower or even an air compressor.

You could try using a brass bristle brush. Bristles are soft so they shouldn't affect the nails but stiff enough to remove the paper.
  • Akg12887530

White vinegar should work.
  • Michelle

Flame?
  • Charlee Hunter

Spritz it with water, let it soak in.. take a hi velocity dryer (I have one for my pets) or a leaf blower (I have a small one used to get dust of our Harley :) and blow the wet/damp paper off.
  • Pat Ruge

I would place a wet towel over the letters for a few minutes to let it soak. If concerned about the wood, lay down some plastic wrap. After soaking I would first test to see they are loosen and then go over it with a scrub brush. The bristles should get into the crevices, but be sure to attack it from all sides. I have a small vegetable brush in the kitchen, even a fingernail brush would work.
  • Babs

sharHallo, stirb this projects I'm using a sharp dentist tool.
  • Babs

sorry autocorrection
    for this projects I'm using dentist tools.