Sarah M
Sarah M
  • Carthage, MO

How To Make A Dome Out Of A Soda Bottle

$5

I saw this cute Dollar Tree project and decided I wanted to make one. The items that did not come from the Dollar Tree were the bottle brush trees, powder snow, figurine, spray paint and the plastic ornament I used for the topper. Those items were from left over craft projects.
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle

how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
Remove the paper from the soda bottle. Remove left over glue that is stuck on the bottle with hot water and either a knife or a fingernail. Be careful not to scratch the bottle.  
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
Remove the plastic ring from the neck of the bottle with wire cutters or
a knife. Using a hand saw, cut above the lip of the bottle. Use sand paper to remove any rough edges.
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
Place a piece of tape just under the line located near the bottom of the
bottle 1 ½ inches or so from the end of the bottle.
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
Cut in a line right above the tape using the tape as your guide.
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
After cutting, remove any rough edges with sandpaper.   
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
Place the items for the inside of the dome on the round glass candle holder. Make sure your items will fit in the center of the candle holder without touching the sides of the soda bottle. When you are happy with the placement of your items, glue the items down with adhesive glue or hot glue. Let dry completely.

how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
You can use salt, snow flakes or powder snow for this project. I chose the powder snow because it was a finer flake, and easier to use than the snow flakes.
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
To glue the dome to the candle holder, run a bead of glue around the rim. Place the dome on top of the candle holder. Place something on top to hold the dome in place while drying. While the dome is drying on the base, run a bead of glue around the outside of the dome. Place a small amount of the snow all around the edge of the candle holder base.
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
Add the snow to the inside of dome.  I found it easier to pour the snow onto a piece of paper and then pour inside the dome.

how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
For the topper I used a plastic ornament. I cut two pieces of gold cord in two different lengths. I glued tiny snowflakes to the ends of the strings.
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
I glued the strings to the plastic ornament and let dry. I dropped the snowflakes down into the dome and glued the topper to the top of the dome.
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
I could only find a black candle holder at my Dollar Tree, so I painted it Metallic Gold to go with my theme.   
how to make a dome out of a soda bottle
Place a large amount of glue in the center of the candle holder you are placing the dome on. Once the dome is in place, Let dry. This was a fun project to do!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Barbara Doiron

I'm working on one now! I'm changing it up a bit but thanks for the idea! I love repurposing!

• Lisa Adams

I Would never have thought of this.This is a cool idea.