Debbie
Debbie
  • Tutorial Team
  • Jamaica, NY

How do you clean a cast iron pot?

TwannaDeb3350875Kate Schweinfurth
+7

Try bar keepers friend
  • Gail

depends on what you want to clean off. Rust, cooked on food? Need more info
  • Kim

I use a chain mail scrubber to remove any hard bits in mild soap and water, rinse, heat on stove until dry, then wipe pan with light coat of cooking oil.
    : )
  • Fiddledd224

Wash the pan by hand using hot water and a sponge or stiff brush (DON'T use soap or steel wool, as these may strip the pan's ability to season) removing any stuck-on food (DON'T put it in the dishwasher). Let it dry completely so it doesn't rust. Then rub kosher or course salt on the pan for more seasoning.
  • Dfm

i just wash mine by and, dry over a lit burner, when dry add olive oil and coat pan with it. Then turn off burner. Let cool and wipe again to remove excess oil.
  • Fle24576804

Spray with oven cleaner and place in plastic bag or wrap in plastic for 2 days.
    Wash well and dry completely. Rub entire skillet or pot with cooking oil and place upside down in 350 degree oven for 1 hour and then 400 degrees for 3 hours. If not satisfied with results. Repeat process.
  • 27524803

I have tried seasoning my cast iron with both vegetable and olive oils (Lodge pre-seasons them with Soybean oil) and have had both get "sticky" to the touch... I have had the best results with Crisco shortening... just a tiny bit, about a teaspoon, on a paper towel.....wipe on, inside and outside... then use a clean paper tower and wipe out very well. You can go to Lodge.com for more information.
  • Kate Schweinfurth

I never use soap on my cast iron pots.
  • Deb3350875

scrub with soap and water. when dry spray with Pam or put olive oil etc all around inside of pañ with a paper towel. do this after every use.
  • Twanna

Burn it off in a very hot fire, wash it with soap and water. Dry well and pour salt on it, then take a rag saturated and lemon juice and scrub aggressively