I need direction on matting & framing photos/prints in recycled frames

FlipturnV SmithRose Broadway
+3

• Emily

My best friend owned a frame shop for 40 years and my husband is an artist. Cutting mats is a very difficult thing for an amateur. You can buy mats at stores like Xmas tree shoppe or Michaels.

• V Smith

How about instead of putting mats over you photos you use acid free art paper and center your photos on top. Just use your glass or the cardboard backing as a template, cut the paper, measure in from top, bottom, and sides to place your photo using acid free double sided tape. You can use spacers between your art and the glass so they don't touch.
  • Rose Broadway

Here's a nice video that will show you each step of framing. I matt and frame pieces of art all the time, but don't have the fancy tools he does. The tools are nice, but not necessary. You will see it's easy.
  • V Smith

If your recycled frames are not standard sizes, you can get custom cut mats at JoAnn's or Michael's. It is not as cost prohibitive as you might think as long as you do the framing.
  • Flipturn

Emily is right about mats that are not cut with precision sharp tools that can mitre and bevel, not looking professional. Purchase ready-cut mats, and then try to save money by putting them in frames yourself.