False bottom in a jar?

Debra Thompson Woolf PolenzLizEdith Cort
+6

I have a blue glass jar I would like to use for dog treats, but I find it a bit too deep. I want to add something to the bottom to fill it, but what? I don't want to use clear pebbles since the crumbs of the dog treats will fall through the cracks, and it will make the jar difficult to clean. I'm looking for something I can pour in and it will harden, ideally clear so it is not visible through the glass. Anyone know of anything that fits the bill?
q false bottom in a jar
  • Ken

First thing that comes to mind is Gulf Wax. Mom used to use it to seal jelly jars and as I recall you wouldn't have to worry about it being so soft that it would contaminate your treats like jar candle wax might.
  • Ken

You could put blue glass pebbles in the jar then pour the paraffin in to embed them but since it hardens white you would not see much of them.
  • Johnavallance82

Liquid solid glass from craft shops etc........
  • Sharon

How about wax?
  • V Smith

There is a 2 part clear epoxy that you can use. I would look for it at a craft store.
  • Edith Cort

why not keep the food in a plascic bag, secured with a rubber band below the lid
  • Liz

How about a layer of dry dog food? When you hit the bottom of your treats, transfer the dog food to food container/bag and replace it to keep things fresh.
  • Debra Thompson Woolf Polenz

The clear liquid that hardens looks like water is sold in the flower arranging department at Michael's and craft stores. You could use a half-price coupons to get it much cheaper. Or like the others I thought of just the clear wax just like what my mom used to seal the top of her drawers with, it's an expensive alternative I won't be a problem if you wash the jar or anything