Need ideas for a muddy backyard.

Hillela G.Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAFlipturn
+4

The parts of the yard that don't have grass get muddy when the sprinklers water the trees. Besides grass, or flowers or mulch, is there anything else I can do?

put in a raised garden bed,build a garden wall out of block,or dig out the areas that are to wet and re-direct the water
  • Johnavallance82

Build or sink a Pond...........
  • Flipturn

Rocks, rocks, rocks. Rocks provide natural drainage without erosion.

The areas are getting muddy because there is insufficient drainage. Other than completely digging up the whole yard and starting from zero in re-levelling and and re-grading various sections, put rocks in the areas that are the lowest and that accumulate the most water.

Go to a landscaping business to see what different sizes are available in pea gravel, river rock, etc. The staff there will be able to advise you what would work best for your yard.
    • Flipturn

No, I don't think so, because as the rocks would only be in selected areas, the dog could still just walk around them. River rock is generally not sharp anyway, being smaller and more rounded. You could try it in the smallest muddiest areas first, and see how the dog reacts.

Also, something that I forgot to mention: to make the rock areas weed-free, put down the thick landscaping fabric underneath before you dump the rocks.
  • I would regrade and install drains. If that is not possible, do a "dry creek" bed with rocks. If mosquitos are a problem, spray with vinegar.
  • Hillela G.

I agree rocks and pebbles help!