Sandy
Sandy
  • Australia

Cabinet makeover ideas

Vicky DavisJeanDysko7710
+9

I have a cabinet very similar to this one. It is a very useful piece of furniture but no longer fits my decor. I think I would like to paint it, but don't know what to do with the dowel sections on the front and sides. I am hoping for a 'Hamptons' look.
q cabinet makeover ideas
  • Linda Sikut

I took this picture off of an article about the Hampton look. You could remove the dowels, add glass and paint black with a background of your choice.
    • Linda Sikut

@Sandy, the more I look at it, the more I think it's a very deep blue - not black. I suspect that the dark blue is more of a Hampton look, but obviously, do which ever you like. :)
  • Roxaneg

If you can remove the dowels, are the doors rabbeted to accept glass?

You could paint them a contrasting color such as a pale blue or lilac which goes well with the Hamptons look.
    • Lara Harvey

Start earning £90/hourly for working online from your home for few hours each day... Get regular payment on a weekly basis... All you need a computer, internet connection and a litte free time.. I can say my life is changed-completely for the betterr! Check it out what i do... Best of Luck... http://ow.ly/oyRu30fZUdN

Honestly painting it will ruin that destinctive look.my opinion,If anything providing where you will put it incorporate your theme on the walls and on top of the unit.
    • Roz11640456

Agreed! Very unusual cabinet. Just about anything you do to it will destroy it and reduce it's value considerably. Consider an insurance appraisal from a reputable (not the cheapest) antique dealer. Don't ask what they would give you for it, as it may be significantly less than it's worth. If anything, get the value, sell it, and buy a cabinet that suits you.
  • Dysko7710

Spray painting might work best for this piece with the rods on the front. Probably white for a Hampton's look. And give it some new hardware, as well. Good luck!
  • Jean

You could put lace panels in the doors.
  • Vicky Davis

Could it be a 'pie cupboard'? Exchange the rods for copper panels, with or without holes for air.